Chapter 14: Divorce Drama and Puberty Blues

The next day came quicker than expected. Luca woke up earlier than Alberto and just laid in bed, staring up at the ceiling. His mind was spinning around and around about the whole divorce situation and he couldn't get it to slow down. He tried his best to forget about it but he couldn't do it to save his life. He slowly turned over as not to wake his sleeping boyfriend up from his deep slumber. He quietly let a few tears flow down his cheeks as he stared straight ahead.

"I'm just overreacting. Maybe Alberto was right, Maybe I should just show Mom I care and be there for her. I don't know what else to do to help her honestly." Luca said in his head.

Luca slowly crawled out of bed and made his way towards the bedroom door. He quietly and slowly opened the door so he didn't wake up Alberto and then closed it quietly behind him. He slowly crept into the kitchen to see Nanna sitting at the table, reading the funnies in the newspaper-a task she frequently did at the breakfast table. Luca looked up at the clock on the kitchen wall above the fridge.

It was 7:30.

Luca walked over towards Nanna and gave her a hug.

"Good morning Nanna. I love you."

"I love you too, kiddo. Did you sleep well last night?" Nanna said as she turned to the last page of the funnies and searched for the Garfield comic strip.

Luca looked down at his feet and held his hands behind his back as he fidgeted in place.

"Not really. I was and still am worried about the whole divorce situation. I think it is messed up how dad did Mom and me. I've been racking my mind all last night trying to figure out what I could do to help mom out, but I'm only 14 and I can't do much financially because I'm too young to get a job. I don't know what I'm going to do."

Nanna turned to look at Luca, putting the newspaper down to turn her focus on Luca.

"Luca, you worry too much. Your mom will be all right. No one is getting taken away or going homeless. Try to calm down the best you can, okay?"

Luca gave Nanna a hug and then felt a few tears fall down his cheeks once again.

He slowly leaned back and then wiped his eyes and said, "Alberto told me last night before we fell asleep that the best way to help Mom out is to be there for her and show her I care about her. I just wish I could do more than that though."

"Alberto did have a good point. I think at this point, the best thing that you could ever do to help your mother out is to show her you love her and care about her. Help her out around the house and with dinner-things like that. She stayed up late last night looking online for jobs. She is going to try the laundry mat today as they were hiring. She told me that if she had two part time jobs, it would be tough but she would make it. She would have to cut down on the bills and utilities though but she said that wouldn't be an issue. I told her I'd help her out the best I could but I have a whole bunch of bills myself with all the doctor's appointments, medicine and such I have to pay each month. She told me not to worry about it but I can't help but do that. She is my daughter and it's my job to make sure she is okay."

"Where is Mom?" Luca asked Nanna who continued to skim through the funnies in the paper with an intent look on her face as though she was on a mission to find something.

"She's outside on the porch, talking on the phone, or at least she was anyway. Your dad called her around 7 this morning and hasn't hung up since. He is pretty set on the whole divorce situation. All I know at this point is that your mom is really taking a beating over it more so than yesterday because she found out your dad already got his fiance pregnant. She is 2.5 months along and he wanted to get married to her before she starts showing because her family will be angry at her if she has a child out of wedlock. Don't go out there and bother her, kiddo. She's stressed enough as it is."