14

When Mathieu became a jujutsu sorcerer, he knew that death would be common and would be almost like someone he would have to encounter every day against his will. Jujutsu sorcerers and death had a close relationship since they had surfaced on the ground of the earth, their line of work not entering into the category of harmlessness. Whether it would be themselves that would graze death many times, their coworkers losing against the grim reaper, or the unfortunate victims that the curses would leave behind, death was a daily occurrence for all exorcists around the world. As sad and unfortunate as it was, this was their reality. Mathieu was well aware of it that he would sooner or later die as an exorcist, but that didn't mean that he won't try to delay his upcoming death. Maybe if he was lucky, he would be able to die old, his past as a jujutsu sorcerer far behind him as he would die of old age. But he highly doubted it.

But when he saw himself, running as fast as he could manage to with his wounds, bleeding through his midnight blue uniform as he held his wounded arm with a trembling hand, panting in exhaustion and panic, leaving behind blood sweat, and tears on the ground of the small streets as he ran and ran, his footsteps echoing in the streets, not looking behind him the one chasing him, he told himself that he would meet his end sooner than he had expected. For the first time in his short career as a jujutsu sorcerer, he was scared to die. He realized that those people that would constantly look down on death, saying that they weren't afraid of death and almost mocked it with their ignorant and arrogant laughs had never faced death head-on in their life. Those people had never experienced the true despair and fear that would bring the certainty of dying alone in a dark alleyway in excruciating pain as they screamed at the top of their lungs for long minutes before taking their last breath, the light of the moon being their only witness. Nobody wanted to die like that.

Eventually, Mathieu tripped on his own foot, resulting in him falling on the ground with a painful gasp, his ribs taking most of the impact. He whimpered on the ground as he could only watch in despair the figure that had been chasing him down with a nonchalant walk that send shivers down his spine. This man was no curse, he was the devil himself. He was sure of it. With a technique like his, he could be nothing else than a monster. A demon.

"W-Why?! Why a-are you doing this?!" Mathieu couldn't help but ask the evil being standing in front of him. The figure stood in front of the wounded sorcerer silently, watching with empty eyes the pitiful form of the exorcist. He sighed soundlessly and ignored the wounded young adult before walking nonchalantly towards the whimpering man that tried to put distance between the two of them. Mathieu looked once more into the eyes of his murderer as his back hit the end of the alleyway and yelled one last time.

"You monster! Y-You'll see! We, sorcerers, will bring you down!" The evil being only chuckled in amusement at the yell of despair his prey had let out and used his technique to change his physical form, his once tall and slim body taking the form of something that could look like a curse.

"We'll see that."

Following this sentence echoed the screams of Mathieu, the night absorbing his cries of despair and pain with the moon high in the sky, watching the scene below it.

______________________________

"Another one!?" Yelled angrily Leoni has he tossed away his newspaper where on the first page was announced another victim of the same murderer that has been haunting the city of Brussels.

In front of him sat Al, a deep frown laced in his eyebrows as he picked up the newspaper the Japanese sorcerer had tossed shamelessly on top of their table, reading the first few lines on the page before sighing in anger.

"This curse surely is something, it will be the third one this week..." Mumbled Al as he slouched on his chair, scratching his nape as he watched Leoni's anger grow by the second. He had not known Leoni for a lot of time, but it was the first time he had seen him so angry.