15

Leoni knew from the start that his idea was not the brightest one, he simply had ignored the thought. He was so desperate to know the truth behind this case and didn't think of the worst. Al has not been the kindest, too. Even if Leoni most probably deserved this outcome, Al still had left him behind, escaping the authorities. The sound of the gun Al had fired probably got the attention of a passerby or whoever was around at this hour. And mixing all of this got himself into police custody. Even if nothing, except for him being found in the morgue illegally, was saying that he was the one breaking into the building. For once, he had no weapons on him and it had been proved that whoever broke in had a gun, so they guessed that there was someone with him, but as much as Leoni was angry at Al for leaving him behind like a stray dog, he denied it until the end. As much as he denied ever breaking into the morgue.

As much as Leoni enjoyed his time in police custody, after twenty-four hours, they had no choice but to let him go, of course not without an expensive fine that he reluctantly paid and a warning that he was lucky because the next time, he would take the first flight direction to Japan. He promised that there would be no next time. It was the first time that he had been arrested and he hoped it would also be the last. It was not a positive experience.

It is only after a good night of sleep that he decided to search for his friend around the city of Brussels. But strangely enough, he couldn't find him anywhere. He had called him many times, only to fall on the voice mail. He did not know if Al was ignoring him on purpose, or if something bad had happened while he was in police custody. But either of those options, both of them made him angry, they were now sure that they were after a curse user and there was no time to lose.

He had spent the whole day, searching with sharp eyes everywhere in the city of Brussels to find Al, and yet he hadn't seen a single shadow of him. The sun was starting to set, preparing itself for a well-deserved night of sleep as it shone its last rays of light in the sky, slightly tainting it into a mix of warm and cold colors before taking a nap. Leoni was laying on the slightly cold surface of a rooftop as he stared at the sky, his phone next to his right ear as he waited for the one he had dialed to answer. He sighed in relief when he heard the sound of a click, indicating the person he had called answered.

"Leoni! It's been a long time!" Cheerfully greeted Gojo on the other side of the line, mentioned sorcerer in his kitchen, leaning against the island in the middle of the room accompanied with a glass filled to the middle with a shining almost transparent liquid, his endless eyes resting on the small waves inside of his glass as he softly twirled the cup, the sole source of light coming from the lightbulbs on the ceiling, the darkness of the early hours of the morning embracing his surroundings. The younger sorcerer on the other side of the line sighed rather loudly, his eyes rolling on themselves before they fell back on the sky as he answered his teacher.

"It's been a week. Are you that lonely without me around?" All Leoni could hear were the laughs of his teacher, his dark blue eyes still not leaving the sky that faded into a mix of warm and cold colors.

"Quite the opposite! You would be surprised!" Chuckled slightly Gojo as he took a sip out of his glass that reflected the white light coming from the ceiling. As soon as he put his glass back on the island's surface, he went on.

"Now, I think that there is a reason behind your call, am I right?" Hidden into his relaxed tone, there hid a hint of seriousness as he waited for Leoni's answer, his deep sky-blue eyes still staring into the depth of his glass. The second year only stayed silent a few seconds before humming approvingly to the words of his teacher.

"We were right, it's a curse user." Both sides fell silent at that sentence, one side waiting for an answer while the other was processing the information in his brain before sighing rather loudly through the speaker of his cell phone.