fourteen - skylar

Chapter Fourteen – Skylar

“I don’t,” I whispered harshly to Trinity, pressing my phone closer to my cheek. I really didn’t want to be having this conversation right now, pressed against the walls of the apartment’s bathroom, speaking in hushed whispers so the others wouldn’t overhear.

“That’s impossible.”

“I don’t like any of them! I swear!” Technically that was a lie, considering I was quite fond of all of them (and also Louis in the romantic sense) but Trinity didn’t need to know that. I’m sure I was obvious about it, as I had never really tried to hide it, but I wasn’t going to simply admit to it.

“You like Louis! And you like Zayn! Don’t lie to me, you like both of them.”

“I do not!” This time it was the truth, because I didn’t like Zayn. I liked the way he smiled, and laughed, and smelled, and drew, and I liked how warm he was, and how open he was with me, but I didn’t like him.

I couldn’t, anyway. I already liked Louis.

“You’re lying to yourself, Sky. I don’t see how you can’t see it. You’re obviously head over heels.”

I scrunched my brow, propping my elbows on the sink. I wasn’t in love with Louis. There was no way that I was in love with Louis. I didn’t even talk to him enough to be in love with him. I had more of a schoolgirl crush on him really. “But I’m actually really not in love with Louis.”

“I never said—” she stopped, “I have to go. Have fun.”

I sighed, staring at my reflection in the mirror before hanging up. Trinity didn’t have to continue her sentence, because I already knew what she was going to say.

Except, if she wasn’t talking about Louis, then she was talking about Zayn, and I definitely already knew that I wasn’t in love with him.

Not even close.

Trinity shot me a knowing look, and I rolled my eyes before placing my head back on Zayn’s shoulder. Harry had decided that it was ‘family night’ (which was really only Trinity, the boys, and I) and had decided that we’d be huddled in his, Louis’, and Niall’s shared apartment to watch a movie.

Well, their apartment was certainly a lot messier than Liam’s, and showed that three boys lived there, but it had a rather homey feel to it, and I didn’t mind the random articles of clothing lying around much.

After all, I had gotten used to that at my own place, after having to live with Trinity for about a year.

 I was totally fine with being squished in between Louis and Zayn on the couch (I don’t think that Trinity held much protest either with being seated next to Niall on the floor) but then Harry, the little devil, decided to put on a horror movie.

And I swear I saw two horns peeking out past his curls.

Louis wasn’t much help, shrieking girlishly every few minutes with his knees pulled up to his chest. His eyes barely watched the screen.

That left me to take comfort in Zayn. He would tense up every few moments, but other than that, he didn’t look too frightened.

I started by molding myself to him. The movie had just barely started, but I had already been more scared than in any other time in my life, and scooted closer to him.

He had given me a soft smile in response, winding his arm around me, pulling me tight.

A couple minutes later, I found myself reaching for his hand, the one that wasn’t already holding me to his chest. I wrapped both of my hands around it, and he intertwined our fingers wordlessly, as if my fingers were made just to fit in the slots between his. He squeezed back reassuringly just as the dumb kids in the film entered the dark house, pulling me closer even though there was no room to do so. I met Harry’s eyes then, and he was smirking. What it was at, I don’t know. He was Harry, for Christ’s sake. It could’ve been anything.