Gregory

** Three hours later **

Vanessa was nice enough to take me home with her when she took Michael out of the Pizzaplex. As soon as we got to her house, she laid Michael on the couch and turned on the TV to distract me. She said after each hour-long episode, I should check to see if Michael has a pulse yet. If he doesn't, I'm supposed to take this weird bottle filled with a glowing purple liquid, then the syringe she gave me, and fill it with one ounce of the liquid. Then I have to find a vein in his forearm and inject the liquid into his bloodstream. I only had to do that three times until his pulse came back and he started to breathe again.

She also told me to never touch the liquid. I don't know why, but I kinda want to. I love science. It fascinates me. I want to experiment with the liquid to find out more about it. But Vanessa told me not to, so I won't. It might be dangerous.

Suddenly, Michael groans behind me. I turn away from the TV and look at him. He carefully pushes himself up into a sitting position. "Aw, fuck, my head," he moans. He reaches up to rub the back of his head, but I quickly fumble to stop him.

"Don't do that. You'll mess up the bandages," I tell him.

"What happened?" he asks sadly.

"I don't know. You split the back of your head open and based on the trail of blood following you, you were on your way to the First Aid station to treat yourself." I sigh. "Do you remember how you cracked your head open?"

His eyes shimmer with tears. "I... I don't want to talk about it."

"Um, okay. That's fine." I stand up from the hardwood floor. "Do you want some food? Vanessa made dinner before she left to go back to work."

"It was Noah," he says suddenly, his voice filled with uncertainty. He looks like he doesn't know if he should tell me this. "I-It was an accident! H-He can't control his strength. He never could. That's why he was banned from the wrestling team at our school."

"Okay, but what happened? How did he hurt you?"

"I-I... Noah and I... We were fighting a-and I rested my hand on his shoulder. But I should've known better--he s-shoved me off of him, and I fell and cracked my head open." He pulls his legs up to his chest and rests his head on his knees. "I'm so stupid! I should've known better--now the slim chances of him saying yes when I propose to him on his birthday have dissolved!"

"Wait. Wait, wait, wait. You're planning to propose to him on his birthday? That's so sweet!"

He looks up at me, surprised. "Crap, did I say that out loud?" He groans and flops backward, laying across the couch. "Stupid!" he shouts as he punches his forehead. "Stupid, stupid, stupid!"

"Hey, you're not stupid!" I tell him assertively.

He suddenly sits up and looks at me with fear. "You can't tell anybody! Not Vanessa, not Jeremy, not anybody! Especially not Noah!"

"I won't, I won't!" I raise my hands in surrender. "I won't tell anyone about your plan."