Michael

** About Seven Months Later **

I'm wandering the uppermost level of the Pizzaplex, just doing basic surveillance, when I suddenly spot a familiar face over by the Fazcade.

Auralie's sitting on the carpeted floor with her back against the wall, her crutches on the floor next to her. She has what she calls her "emergency bag" on the side of her, opened with different packages and alcohol wipes next to her. She's trying to get some kind of liquid from a small vial into a syringe. What on earth is she doing?

I walk over to her and gently nudge her foot with the toe of my shoe so I can get her attention. She looks up at me, surprised, then smiles widely when she sees that it's me.

What are you doing, Aura? I ask, then point to the vial and the syringe. What is that?

She finishes drawing the liquid into the syringe and puts her things down on her lap.

Sorry, she signs. I had to finish before I could respond. I was drawing insulin into the syringe so I can fill my new OmniPod. Some jerk wasn't watching where he was going and ran into me. He shoved me into the wall so hard that it knocked my old OmniPod off of my arm! She sighs, annoyed. And my glucose levels are high, so I need insulin. They've been high all morning.

Insulin? Why do you need insulin?

Did Papa not tell you yet? I have Type I diabetes. We found out six months ago, I think.

I hesitate, surprised. No. No, he didn't tell me, I tell her.

That's weird, she replies. But, yeah, I'm diabetic. She shrugs and laughs. Still getting used to it sometimes, but the Dexcoms and OmniPods have been very helpful.

That's good. I hesitate, checking the time on my watch. Do you know where your father is?

She shakes her head, then resumes doing whatever she's doing to her new OmniPod. What even is an OmniPod? I've never heard of that before. Is it some kind of glucose monitor? Or is it similar to an insulin pump?

It doesn't matter right now. I need to find Noah.