16

A/N: Hello again and happy Thursday. Quick turn around for a new update.

Maybe read and enjoy? :)

-------------------

Lauren jolted with a sharp gasp for breath as the windows rattled from the loud, cannon like roll of thunder that shook the house.

She sat up and glanced around, her breath coming in quick, short gasps as she tried to calm her racing heart. She didn't remember getting ready for bed at all, but she must have because she was in her pajamas and had woken in the guestroom of the house.

More thunder shook the house, and Lauren whimpered as she fell back on the mattress and curled into a ball, clinging desperately to her Nala. Rain pounded against the window harshly, she worried it might actually break the glass.

She couldn't possibly go back to sleep now. Maybe she could sneak downstairs and watch tv though. It would be better than sitting in the dark with no distraction.

She unfurled and slipped off the bed and walked into the hall with Nala in tow. She slowly tiptoed her way to the stairs. She knew Camila was still passed out, her friend could sleep through anything, but she wasn't sure about Normani, Ally, or Dinah, and their room was was just a few feet away from the stairs.

She carefully made her way downstairs, intending to go into the den, but paused when she heard murmurs coming from the kitchen. She took cautious steps towards the sounds, not really meaning to eavesdrop, but she wondered who else was awake.

"It looks like we're in the worst of it now," she could hear Dinah saying. "Not sure how long until it passes, but it's supposed to lighten up eventually."

"Hopefully the worst of it is over soon," Ally grumbled before she sighed heavily. "I hate thunderstorms."

The declaration sent a small wave of relief through Lauren. She felt better knowing she wasn't the only one who couldn't sleep because of the storm.

She turned to go back towards the den, but in her haste to sneak away, her feet got crossed up and she stumbled, bumping into the wall before she fell to the floor.

She heard the rush of hurried footsteps, and she curled up as Dinah worriedly called, "Lauren? Are you okay?"

"What happened?" Ally asked from behind.

Lauren whimpered softly and hid her face in Nala's side. She was going to be in so much trouble.

"Lauren, are you hurt?" Ally questioned. "Can you sit up for me, sweets?"

Lauren shook her head while refusing to look up. The two women were calm now, but it was only a matter of time before they yelled at her for eavesdropping.

"You're not in trouble, but we do need to know if you're hurt," Dinah stated gently. "What were you doing out here, Lauren?"

Lauren clenched her eyes tightly as she strengthened her grip on Nala. "Wasn't eavesdropping," she answered anxiously. "Didn't mean to."

A hand gingerly settled on her back, and then Dinah said, "I wasn't accusing you, honey. You're not in trouble, I promise."

Lauren took a shuddering breath as tears pricked her eyes, but then slowly she started to sit up with Dinah's help.

"Are you hurt?" Ally asked once more as she looked the girl over critically, searching for signs of injury.

Lauren shook her head. "No. It was shock than anything." She nibbled on Nala's ear for a moment before she realized what she was doing and quickly moved Nala to her lap. Her cheeks burned with embarrassment, and she hoped the lighting was dim enough to prevent the two women from seeing her blush.