18

A/N: Late night posting on a Wednesday because I don't have any semblance of a posting schedule.

This chapter is very much Lauren, Camila and Normani-centric. I am trying to keep things balanced but it is so hard. Ally and Dinah will be back in the next chapter, I promise!!

Read and enjoy, maybe? :)

---------------------------

Camila dragged Lauren out the front door and towards Normani's car.

"Camila, be nice. Don't hurt her," the older woman warned as she locked the door before walking down the steps and over to the vehicle. "I really don't want to have to explain any injuries to Ally or Dinah."

Camila huffed slightly. "Fine. Come on, come on. We gotta go," she impatiently insisted.

Normani clicked her tongue disapprovingly. "If you're going to be like that, you can stay here."

The younger girl sighed and shook her head. "I'm sorry," she mumbled as she scuffed her foot on the pavement. "I'm just excited."

"I know you are, babe, but you have to be patient."

Lauren watched the interaction intently. She shouldn't have been shocked by the interaction. None of the trio had ever used aggression when giving a reprimand before, so why would Normani start doing so now?

She climbed into the back seat of the car, surprised when Camila followed.

"Didn't want you to sit back here alone," the younger explained. She tapped Normani on the shoulder after the woman got into the driver's seat. "Where are we going?"

"Well, Civic Square Center has several different stores in one location, so that would be easiest," Normani answered. "But, we could go elsewhere if Lauren has somewhere specific in mind."

Lauren rub her fingers on the fabric of the seat. She shrugged and responded, "I don't mind wherever. Just not down town."

Camila nodded fervently. "Yeah, we have to stay away from down town, Mommy."

Normani's brows furrowed slightly. Even though she had a good guess, she still asked, "Why's that?"

"It's where my dad's office is," Lauren answered, looking at the floor. She bit her lip as she ran her hand over the seat. "Don't want to go near it. Don't want to see him."

Normani turned to face the girl and nodded. "We won't go there. We'll keep to where we know it's safe."

Lauren released a shuddering breath and nodded in return. Safe sounded good. "Okay. I like that plan."

Camila nodded her agreement. "Yeah, me too. Now let's go, Mommy. We gotta get Lolo toys."

Lauren still didn't know what she was supposed to get. Her stomach coiled slightly from anxiety. She just hoped to find something once they got there.

-----------------------

Normani had the sneaking suspicion a little extra supervision of the two girls under her watch would be required during their outing.

Not that she worried about unruly behavior. Camila was excitable and hyperactive, but she wasn't one for rule breaking. Lauren was still like a skittish puppy, too afraid to do anything that could be conceived as wrong.

Normani suspected that Camila's enthusiasm mixed with Lauren's apprehension and uncertainty would be a source for trouble. The last time they had come to the shopping center went smoothly, but she suspected that had to do with Lauren having already determined what she was after.