Chapter 6- The Way Is Not Clear

*5 Years Later
*******************************

It was late in the afternoon. It was an exquisite day. It was the start of the weekend, and four friends decided to have a short walk in the forest. They walked on the safe path, one created specifically to avoid the forbidden territory.

Xander led the way, using his newly purchased machete to slash overhanging branches. He led the way back home, after he, Amelia, Cole, and Violet had a star gazing date in a glade.

Xander carried his newly purchased machete, knowing that these woods were treacherous. Based on the rumors. Amelia followed him, with Cole and Violet close behind.

They soon reached a fork in the road. The right led down a sunny, curved path. The left, however, was darker, fog creeping above the ground. The branches and leaves above didn't let in much sunlight to pass through.

Xander looked left then right. He shrugged, taking the left side.

"I say we should be right," Violet stuttered. She was the more realistic and cautious friend of the group. She tried to stay out of trouble, despite her friends always leading them into it.

Xander gave her a smug smile, sprinting deeper down the dark path. Everyone turned on their flashlights, the sun was leaving them in the dark.

"Come on!" Xander encouraged. Violet and Amelia continued to follow. They didn't want to be alone in the forest or let their friends get into more trouble than they're getting into.

Little sunlight passed through the trees. The bird's sweet chirping slowly died down, being replaced with caws from crows and falcons. Violet grew more worried with each step. She stayed close to Amelia, who was also growing slightly uneasy about their path choice.

The fog lightened up a bit, revealing new traces in the dirt. Shoe prints. They cautiously followed the marks in the dirt. It did not long until something peculiar occurred. The shoe prints turned into what appeared to be animal tracks. Large animal track

"What made these?" Cole questioned. Xander bent down, examining the track. They were large, marks in the dirt. They were bigger than his hand, two small and two larger ones.

"Wow, that's terrifying." Violet pointed out quickly, then tugged Amelia's arm. "And that's just great. Can we go back now?" It's getting dark."

"Don't tell me you're afraid of the Madrigals?" Cole snickered. The path led up a small hill, growing more rough and bumpy. "The people say that they will feast on flesh to whoever dares to go beyond the gate! They were raised to bring havoc on our town, cursing anyone who harms them."

Xander grabbed a rock, throwing it into a bush. The girls shrieked by the noise, the boys laughing at them. Violet and Amelia became annoyed.

"That isn't funny!" Violet growled.

"Be careful," Xander mockingly warned. "They'll know where we are,"

Suddenly, a rock flew past them. It nearly hit Xander's head, his eyes widened in shock. The group looked at each other in concern.

"Wh- who's there?" Cole stuttered to the trees. "Show yourself!"

On the branches above them, the leaves began to rustle. Amelia and Xander stepped back, the latter taking a hold of his weapon. All looked up at the trees, the rusting of the trees stopped. The creature in the tree soared past them, landing on a clear branch above them.

It was an eagle-owl. Its eyes glowed a yellow color through the branches, the feathers having a black and dark brown spotted pattern.

Violet sighed in relief. She could feel her heart beating against her chest, instincts pleading to turn back. She turned back to her friends, who were continuing to go down the dark path. As much as Violet hates this terrible plan, she'd rather be with them than be alone in the dark forest.

The owl was soon left alone. His neck began growing longer and slouched forward. The feather around the head disappeared, revealing the pale head and small beak. The feathers became black as tar.

The newly-changed condor spread out its massive wings, flying high in their direction.

****************************************

They followed the prints. It didn't take long until they led to the gate. The same gate from the countless stories they've heard throughout childhood. The metal barrier stood tall, detailed butterflies scattered around the fence. The house was hidden behind the fog, standing tall above the tombs. Headstones could be seen scattered around the home, the gloom spread over the land.

Xander pushed the gate open, the creaking echoing around them. Violet grabbed Xander's arm, shaking his heading in disagreement.

"Fine," Xander shrugged. "You and Cole can wait here."

"You're crazy!" Violet hissed. "You're gonna follow the tracks of a possible monster, that leads to an actual haunted house!"

"We'll be in and out," Amelia explained. She was already what was considered too deep in the taboo land, which was only a few feet.

"You know one of them can hear a pin drop." Violet huffed. "What makes you think that it won't hear us now. Maybe they already know we're here."

Amelia groaned in annoyance. "That's your little character flaw. You're friends with someone who is clearly the opposite of you. Yet, you still stay because you care."

It looked somewhat normal, except for the fog that surrounded the area. And the eerie silence. And the circle of clouds above the building.

Amelia took a breath, following Xander as they crept into the forbidden territory.

________________________

Author's Note

I was really hoping not to take forever between chapters, but things come up. I'm go back to college again, which is a plus! I write whenever I'm not busy with work. Or busy with figuring out where this story is gonna go. Or distracted with social media. 

Sorry for the super long wait. I decided to split the chapter so the next part should up likely next week, but it's clear my upload schedule is non-existent. I'm just finishing up the ending... 

I post a lot on my stories on Instagram,  maybe follow me on there.