Chapter 8- In Our Town

A young girl was with her mother in her family-owned bookshop, a popular destination for the new and latest stories. The shop was small and homey, one of the stores near the town square. The shelves lined the walls with books, with a few containing pictures of the town's history, the old times as the locals put it. Piano music played over the speaker, a couple of sofa chairs by the window, and a rug used often for story-time on weekends.

It was a quiet evening in the local bookshop. Cecilia sat on the rug playing with her stuffed jaguar, a gift from her babysitter. Cecilia's mother, Señora Imelda Posadas, sat behind the counter with a book in her hands.

Two children Juancho and Alejandra slammed the door open, causing the two to jump in surprise. Cecilia gave them a hug, careful not to spill the boy's coffee.

"Want to come play!?" Juancho yelled. His eyes twitched and hands shook, splashing some of his coffee. Cecilia's mamá took his coffee cup and placed it on the table.

"That's why coffee is for grown ups," She explained.

"Can she come play?" He repeated, his eyes continuing to twitch.

Imelda smiled and nodded. The children raced out the door, making the mother chuckle.

When the trio arrived at the town square, they ran past a teenage boy playing a game of chess with his friend. The children didn't think much of it, since the two usually have a match each week. The game was close, but Oscar managed to corner Mariano's king.

"Checkmate!" Oscar declared in triumph. Mariano groaned in slight annoyance, but smiled.

"One more game," The 15-year-old said, setting up the pieces again. Mariano looked at his watch, then shook his head.

"Sorry," He apologized. "There's a town meeting in a few minutes,"

Oscar frowned, then took a look at the scenery around them. It was nearing sunset, but the place was still full of life. The children started a game of tag. Music played in the gazebo with a few dancers moving to the melody. Chatter also filled the air, the people on the move from one stand to another.

The plaza had many familiar faces. Osvaldo was organizing his truck for his last few deliveries. Bernardo was in his police uniform, but was more laid back than his fellow officers.

"You need some friends," Mariano thought aloud. Oscar looked up, shaking his head.

"You are my friend," The boy pointed out. Mariano chuckled.

"I'm your only friend, who's a grown adult. You need friends you're own age,"

Oscar groaned, fidgeting with the queen chess piece. While most in his grade were outside playing sports, he would spend hours reading and researching online. The only time he leaves his room is to go to school, go to the library, and for his weekly chess game with Mariano. He shook his head.

"You can't just sit around all day." The man gestured his arm to the outside society. "There a whole world out there,"

"There's a whole big world in here too," Oscar responded, motioning to his rucksack filled with books.. He pointed to his head. "Here too,"

Mariano chuckled, ruffling Oscar's curly hair. The boy laughed, playfully pushed him away. "Why don't you come with me?"

Oscar thought for a moment. He started packing the chess set in his navy blue rucksack. He had nothing better to do. He'll just read one of his books if he gets bored.

He had a few books in his bag, which was covered in patches of favorite bands, movies and shows. He never went anywhere without it. He always kept a book in it, with his journal and collection of pens, and his headphones to turn out unwanted distractions.