Chapter 7- Creepy and Kooky

Xander took out his machete, Amelia stayed behind him. The atmosphere grew cold, making them shiver with the shifting temperature and their growing fear. The gravestones were sprinkled throughout the front part of the home, and a few dead trees sprouted from the ground.

They walked up the cobblestone path, which soon split into two. One path led to the front door and the other led to the backyard. They walked off the stone and moved closer to the house. They press against the walls, crouching below an open window. The window showed a soft glow of light.

Amelia turned on the camera in her phone, facing it up to the window. The face of a furry critter filled the screen. It squeaked and sniffed the device, then scurried away, an old woman. The witch. She was sitting by an open fire, knitting a new project.

"It's her!" She whispered to Xander. They looked back at the camera, Amelia deciding to take pictures. Probably the only chance anyone will see clear images of them.

They were in the living room, the witch didn't look up from her work. Someone was sitting on the floor, his hood over their head. There were rats scurrying across the floor, a few by the open window.

A younger woman walked into the room. She had dark curly hair, tied with a black ribbon, and a spiked headband. She looked tired, like she hasn't slept in days.

"Have our guests arrived?" The witch asked. The woman looked at the window. Amelia quickly lowered her screen, the tired woman spoke. The two teens held their breath.

"Two of them are outside the window." Amelia and Xander were shocked. They really do know when someone is near. "The others are in the backyard. Isabela are going to find them any second,"

Suddenly, loud screaming rang through the area. Amelia and Xander looked at each other, before turning back to the window.

"She found them,"

****************************************

Cole sat on a log, scrolling through his phone. He was surprisingly calm, considering his friends were in the most dangerous part of the forest. The girl, however, was anything but. Violet tried to keep her mind occupied, she wrote in her journal she kept in her backpack, which ended up in her snapping pencil and her scribbling the page in anger.

So now, she paced in front of the gates, then looked at her phone for the sixth time. She broke the silence. "We should go find them,"

"I thought you were too scared," Cole raised an eyebrow, looking back at the house.

"Maybe I am, but they've been in there too long!" she argued. "We need to find them."

He groaned in slight annoyance and thought about it for a moment. Cole wasn't a strong believer of the Madrigal stories. He never saw them or their oddity abilities, and this is the closest he's been to the house. He might get that chance to see them.

"We'll walk around by the fence," He firmly decided. The two looked at the dwelling, feeling more anxious than nervous. Cole took a deep breath, and opened the gate.

They stay close to the fence, walking around the perimeter of the property. They used their phone flashlights, carefully walking around the home. They soon reached the backyard, the graveyard coming to full view. Cole looked at Violet, who shrugged. Taking a leap into the darkness, he led her through the maze of tombstones.

The stones looked normal, except for a few that stood out. Some had strange statues, both people and creatures. Creatures having more than one head, large wings, or reptilian skin.

"I think I see her," Violet pointed to a shadowy figure in the hazy distance. They began to walk to them and as they got closer, Cole felt that something was off.