Chapter 9- In Our Home

The screams of the intruders filled the halls of Casita. Mirabel could hear them up in her room, but they didn't distract her. She was too focused on her latest taxidermy project, stitching up a dead groundhog caught in one of their traps. She already took out the insides and gave them to Isabela for her plants.

Her room was filled with different supplies used for her crafting. There were boxes of yarn and thread, jars with different organs of animals she'd use to make Frankenstein-like dolls, and journals she kept for her schoolwork and her observations.

A few of her taxidermy projects were on display as well. A stuffed partridge sat on a displayed tree branch, the skin of a lynx laid over her bed, and the head of a wolf with a dead squirrel in its mouth hung above the door. She has a talent for her hobby, especially when it comes to creating rogue taxidermy. Mirabel would even stitch together different animals together to make a hybrid of sorts.

She looked up when she heard the roof tiles clatter. The door swung back and forth and the floorboards moved up and down. Mirabel smiled, knowing Casita was telling everyone that dinner was ready. She finished the last stitch, brushing the fur before heading out the door.

As she walked down the stairs, she passed by a few paintings and photos of the family. She passed by the portrait of her mama, Tia Pepa, and Tio Bruno when they were young. It showed each of their unique gifts; Bruno's glowing eyes and rats, Julieta's potion bottle, and Pepa's rain cloud and hair braided into a noose. She then took a look at the individual portraits each family member had, with Julieta and Pepa posing with their husbands.

The girl slid down the stairs that Casita made to a slide. She walked into the dining room, seeing the rest of the family taking their seats.

Fuego floated above the chandelier, lighting the wax candles. He flew back down to the table, his light shining brightly at the sight of a plate of wood chips.

Camilo soared into the room in his bird form and landed next to the corn. Julieta brought in the pot of soup and then noticed that the bird was pecking at the plated food.

In one swift move, she grabbed the knife from the sheath on her waist and threw it in front of the bird. Camilio flinched back to a chair, changing back to his human form.

"You missed!" Camilo laughed. He grabbed the corn he pecked and started to fill his plate.

"That was a reminder to not eat food as an animal," She warned, grabbing her knife and returning it to her sheath on her waist.

"One of these days, she'll get you," Alma said. She sat at the head of the table, the painting of the family dead tree shown behind her. Camilo shrugged, taking a bite out of his corn.

Mirabel sat closest to her Tio Bruno. She has a strong relationship with him, spending some of her free time in his tower. She would often make props for his rat novellas, even making costumes for the small creatures.

"Just like Juli and Pepa would use me as a target," Bruno pointed out with a chuckle. He took a seat on the other end of the table. Luisa and Isabela entered the room, taking their seats between Agustin and Mirabel.

"Did our guest leave already?" Alma asked, already knowing to answer.

Isabela nodded, "They didn't see Afri do his tricks,"

Alma shrugged, taking a bite from her food. Antonio sat across from Mirabel, Parce sitting close beside him and Hades rested on the top of the chair. Dolores sat quietly in her seat, perking up at the sound she heard. Pepa noticed, the cloud above slowly began to drizzle in rain.

"Oýe!" Felix's voice rang through the halls. He walked through the door, his signature Cheshire grin on his face. Pepa sprung up from her seat and nearly tackled her husband with a hug. The two shared a long kiss, rain pouring above them.