Heartbroken

I was walking along the sandy beaches one of the days. It took a while for the Reef Na'vi to open up to me, but overall, they were nice people. They were hesitant at first, seeing a human up close and walking amongst them that did not carry bad intentions. I couldn't blame them. They never saw a good sky person. 

The kids. The kids loved me. They would ask me so many questions; asking why I was so short if I was 16, asking if I would grow any taller. They were so curious and adorable.

I looked down at my bronze bracelet. It was shimmering under the sun. If my biological father was still alive, I wondered what  I would say or do if  I met him...one day, on the streets, in a random encounter. I would likely tell him all about my adventures on Pandora. I wanted to visit Earth, but I knew it was an impossible dream. My biological father was there right now...and he was super busy with work, so he couldn't come with my mother to Pandora. So, it was impossible dream. 

I still dreamt about how I would approach him. I guess a part of me wanted to meet him so badly.

I thought about those things a lot, playing with my bracelet as I continued to walk.  But my attention was soon brought to something else. I heard voices in the distance.

"What is she doing?" I heard Ao'nung asked. "I don't know." I heard another voice reply. "She's just looking at the sand." Ao'nung laughed. I followed their voice. "Huh? What did you say?" I saw Kiri getting up, removing her head from the water as she looked at Ao'nung and his group of friends, looking confused.

"Are you some kind of...freak?" Ao'nung asked. "He asked if you were a freak." The guy standing on his left repeated. My eyebrows furrowed. I stopped playing with my bracelet and clenched my fists. They were picking on my younger sister. That upset me. Kiri sighed, rolling her eyes at them. "No." She shook his head and began walking away. But Ao'nung and his friends still followed her. "Are you sure? I mean, you are not even real Na'vi." That was the last straw.

"Hey!" I shouted, marching my way over to Ao'nung. When he turned to see me, his smile grew even wider. "Would you look at that! It's the demon!" He and his friends began to laugh. "Don't call her that!" Kiri tried to defend me as I walked closer to them and pushed Ao'nung away from Kiri, earning murmurs from his friends. 

He just had a grin on his face. "Don't call my sister a freak..." I warned, staring up at him. Even though he was twice my size, I wouldn't hesitate to put myself between him and my sister.

He just chuckled at my warning. "What are you going to do about it?" He asked tauntingly. "I mean...You're tiny. You're weak." He gestured to me, laughing. "I mean...look!" He forcefully grabbed both my arms. 

"Let her go!" Kiri demanded. I tried to pull my arms away, but his grasp on my arms tightened to the point where they started to hurt. "Your arms are even thinner than hers." He laughed, as the others began to laugh. 

"Hey, what's this around your wrist?" One of the guys noticed my bracelet and yanked it off my wrist. I winced in pain from the cut it had left. I never took my bracelet off. Having it off felt like that a part of me was dragged away with it.

"Don't touch that, it's hers." Kiri tried to snatch it back from that guy, but he just backed away, and gave it to Ao'nung. I closed my eyes. 'Please, Eywa. Don't let him do it...' I thought. Cold sweat began to run down my face. 

"Give that back. It's important." I spoke up, forcing myself to stay calm. I walked over to reach for my bracelet as Ao'nung observed it, but he noticed me and stepped back, raising my bracelet high in the air.

"What's this? I've never seen anything like this before." He chucked, playing with the bracelet. My heart was racing out of my chest. My vision began tunneling in. I couldn't find any words to speak. "It was a gift. Now give it back!" Kiri demanded, reaching for the bracelet this time. "Whoa! Whoa!" Ao'nung gasped, dodging her attempt. "Fine. I'll give it back." He rolled his eyes, still smiling.

He slowly walked over to me, waving the bracelet in his hand. I managed to look up at him at that moment. "You want this thing back? Fine, here." He extended his hand forward. I knew it wasn't going to be that simple, but my body fell for it. My hand reached out to grab my bracelet.

...

...

And that's when it happened.

...

...

...

Before my hands could touch the bracelet, Ao'nung took his hand back, still holding onto my bracelet. Kiri couldn't stop him. I couldn't stop him. He got my bracelet and threw it as far as he could...into the sea. I didn't know what to do. I was just so shocked and frozen. My mouth hung open, and blinked a lot of times. My breathing was starting to escalate.

What was worse of all? They were laughing. They were laughing as it all went down. "What the hell?!" Kiri asked them. "Why would you do that?" She asked, shoving Ao'nung away. I just stood there...unmoving. 

'That was my...that was my bracelet. That was my father's bracelet. He gave that...he gave that to my mother!' I comprehended. To lose something that belonged to my mother and father...and their love for each other...

I did not notice the tears falling from my eyes until it was too late. There was a painful feeling in my chest, making it hard to breathe. "Eli? Are you okay?" I noticed Kiri's hands resting on my shoulders. I had to compose myself. I could not cry in front of her, or these people...not right now. I turned around, forcing myself to smile. "I'm fine...let's...let's just go back." I told her.

Ao'nung's happy look turned to that of confusion. "Huh? Wait...are you actually crying?" He asked. I didn't look at him. I did not answer him. "Hey, don't ignore me." reached for my arms again...

"Hey!" Lo'ak's voice shouted. "Back off, fish lips!" And things just escalated quickly when he intervened. Ao'nung removed his hands from my arms, turning to face him. "Aww! Another four-fingered freak." He announced. "Look at his little baby tail." Rotxo said, pulling on his tail. 

"Don't touch me!" He hissed, pushing him away. Now they set their eyes on Lo'ak. I clenched my fists to the point they were turning white from the lack of blood flow. I forcefully blinked away the tears.

"Leave them alone!" I demanded. "But look at his tail. It is very cute!" Ao'nung teased, grabbing Lo'ak's tail. But this teasing was short-lived when Neteyam stepped in, pushing Ao'nung away from Lo'ak. I was somewhat relieved when I saw him coming to help. "You heard what she said. Leave them alone." Neteyam told them. He was very mad. "Oh, big brother coming to–" Before one of the guys could continue, Ao'nung stopped him. "Back off. Now." Neteyam demanded.

Ao'nung looked at him before smirking, raising his hands up and backing away. "Smart choice. And from now on, I need you to respect my sisters." One of Ao'nung's friends hissed at his response. Kiri stuck out his tongue at him. "Let's go." Neteyam told us. I turned around and walked away numbly. 

"Bye bye!" The same guy teasingly departed us. "Look at them, they are all freaks. The whole family." Ao'nung whispered. This did not sit well by Lo'ak.

I looked back, tugging on Neteyam's arm to look back. Lo'ak had stopped, turning around to face them once more. "Lo'ak..." Neteyam called. "I got this, bro." He just told us as he walked back towards Ao'nung, bringing his left hand up. "I know this hand is funny. Look, I'm a freak. Alien." He said, showing off his pinkie. They started chuckling.

"But it can do something really cool. Watch. First, I tie it real tight. Okay?" He explained, clenching his fist as Ao'nung watched. 

"And then..." 

And then Lo'ak punched his face. Not once, not twice, but three times, knocking him to the ground. 

Ao'nung's friends rushed over to him. "It's called a punch, bitch. Never touch my sisters again. And a full on fight began. Neteyam sighed, running in to join the fight to help out our youngest brother.

I furrowed my brows, watching them fight. I did not want them to fight. Now, Neteyam and Lo'ak would get in trouble. Dad would be mad at them. Tears welled up in my eyes, and I started backing away, shaking my head. "Eli?" Kiri asked, but I just ran away. I just wanted to be alone...to gather my thoughts.