Recovery

...

...

The sun had risen in the sky by the time we reached Three Brothers Rocks. It was still morning when Lo'ak arrived. I could hear him calling Payakan's name, looking around. I let out a sigh of relief, seeing his figure swimming closer and closer. 

'Lo'ak came, Payakan. Let's go up.' Payakan did not hesitate to swim to the surface. I just clung onto his back.

The look on his face when he noticed me on Payakan changed from happiness to confusion, and lastly to shock. "Hold up...Eli?" He called out, sounding confused. My youngest brother swam up to Payakan, climbing onto his fin. He began nudging my shoulder.

"Am I hallucinating? Is she real, Payakan?" He asked him as if I wasn't lying on his back and he wasn't shaking me. "No, you're not hallucinating. I'm real." I answered back, looking up at him. "Oh, thank Eywa, I'm not going crazy!" He sighed in relief, smiling as I pushed myself up to sit.

Lo'ak's hands reached for my shoulders. "Are you okay? Did they hurt you too much?" He asked me, lifting up my arms and checking for any injuries. "I've never been better. I'm just tired. I just have a few cuts, bruises, and a broken leg." I replied to his question. He tackled me in a hug.

"Oh, Eywa, we thought we'd lost you for good. We couldn't sleep. How did you manage to get back?" He asked me. "It's a long story... Let's just get back to the village for now." I said. "Right...right." He nodded. He helped me swim and get on his Ilu's back. Before we headed back to the village, I turned my head back to look at Payakan. 'Thank you.' I thought, signing to him. 'You're family, too!' He said.

...

The moment Lo'ak brought me back, in an instant Dad picked me up off his Ilu and pulled me into a bone-crushing hug. I felt my spine cracking from the pressure. "Oh, God! Oh, God!" He sighed deeply. "Please don't do that again...ever please! You scared us all!" His voice wavered. His whole body trembled. "I'm sorry, Dad..." I apologized, embracing him back. 

"I'm sorry for worrying you."

I had worried my family so much, all because I went on a simple swim with Stevie, but got caught by the RDA. After what felt like an hour or two, Dad released me from his hug, but still held onto my shoulders as if I'd slipped away from him again. "Until your leg is healed, you can't go off on your own. Understand?" Dad informed me. "I just nodded.

"Alright..." I mumbled, looking down. I was about to head back to the mauri to get healed, but Dad tugged on my arm, holding me back. "What happened to the ship?" He asked me. "It sank in a storm." I looked up to him, meeting his eyes. 

There was a soft sigh coming from him. "That's good. You brought us more time. Good job." He mumbled, patted my back, and sent me on my way. A slight chuckle came out from me.

I limped inside the mauri

I was instantly met by Neteyam. The look on his face saddened me. He had glossy eyes, and his lips were quivering as he made his way towards me. His legs were trembling. It looked like they would give out any minute. I reached for him instantly, pulling him into a hug. His breaths hitched. 

"It's okay...I'm here. I'm here now." I reassured him. I raised my hands as high as I could to stroke his head. It was easier when he dropped to his knees, still hugging me tightly. His face was buried in the top of my hair as he began sobbing quietly. Kiri and Tuk approached me, too. "Eli...you're okay!" Tuk sighed in relief, She came to my left side and pulled me into a hug.

Dad told me I could no longer go off on my own unless one person was beside me at all times. I felt like I was a child again.

My bruises and cuts were healing normally the first few days. I wish I could say the same about my leg. Everytime I tried to take a step forward, massive pain would erupt in that area, my knees gave away, and I'd stumble forward.