'Backfired' ⚠️

"So, still, nothing?" Oj sighed, defeated.
He had rested, like Paper said, and was trying to manage this mess of a situation.

The third group had come back, with no findings. The only thing brought back to him that was memorable was the fact that there was something wrong behind the Hotel that needed repairs.

He slumped back into the couch, Paper by his side, trying his absolute best to be reassuring.
"Oj, trust me, I get how stressful all of this is, but it'll be fine. We'll find Mephone, we'll find out if those letters exist, and we'll fix everything. Just- realx. Alright? I'm here."
The silence was painful. Usually, Paper's comfort always made Oj feel better.
Although, this time, it didn't feel right at all. There was something- something that didn't feel normal. It was like a gut feeling, but different, somehow.

It was a question.
"Paper..?"
"Yeah, Oj?"
"How come... how come it's always you comforting me?"
The moment Oj asked that, a pang of anxiety hit him.

Was that a bad question?
He felt it was so, when Paper shifted in his seat, staring down at the floor.
A long silence stretched between the two, Oj regretting what he had asked.
But, also hoping for an answer.
It seemed as though Paper was always the one to make Oj feel better, so why couldn't Oj help Paper feel okay..?

Paper sighed, facing Oj once more. Now, though, he smiled weakly. Forcefully.
"It just... feels right." Paper explained, through shaky breaths.

"It doesn't have to just be... like that. You're... you're a person too, Paper."

Paper looked away once more, and focused on the table infront of them with piles of paperwork.

"Paper..?" Oj repeated, looking for any type of reaction.

"Oj, listen. I'm fine, okay? You're the one who's stressed right now... I'm here to make you feel better." Paper explained, continuing to stare at the pile of pages.

"But, Paper?- you have feelings too. I can't ignore them, or you. The last time you were isolated at idiotic island..."
"Oj." Paper warned, in a harsh tone. Oj remember what that place was like for Paper, and how it affected him. He then felt a lump in his throat.
"Oh- oh.. Paper, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-", "Maybe it'd be better if we just sat in silence for a moment, or two." Paper cut Oj off, leaving Oj surprised.

"What? Paper.. I know this is stressful, but-", "Oj, I think I just need a minute. You know I don't like any mentioning of that place. It brings back bad memories." Paper explained, as he hoisted himself up from the couch, and began walking in the direction of the stairs.

But before he could get there, Microphone came crashing through the front door, almost knocking furniture over in the process.

"WE FOUND THEM!! The letters! We got 'em!! MARSHY, HURRY!!"

Paper stopped, quickly turning back around to Microphone, who held some envelopes in her hand.

Soon after Microphone had run in, Marshmallow came through the door, with Apple, Knife and Pickle following close behind.
Marshmallow herself held envelopes, and Knife held an opened one in his left hand, and a note in his right.

Oj quickly pulled himself up, and brought himself to his feet.
"Wait- seriously? Test tube was right? Those are the letters right there-?"
Knife stepped foward, and threw the envelope with the letter in Oj's direction, most likely expecting him to catch it.

Oj fumbled with it, and then scanned for proof it was what they thought it was.
And there it was, the 'B4' signature and the identical handwriting.
He had to give Test tube credit for figuring out there were more. Maybe the letters would end up saying something about where Mephone was. He still hadn't turned up.