3 | The park

SMOKEY: forgot 2 give ur lighter back
SMOKEY: guess that means we have 2 hang out again soon
ME: Guess so :)
_________________

January 13th 2013

I had just woken up. I was now sitting at my dining room table, [h/l], messy, [h/c] hair kept out of my face as I chowed down on fruity cereal that was usually far too sugary for me. Today though, I was craving something sweet. I was wearing the same pajamas I had worn for the entirety of the day before— not bothering to go out that day.

I felt a shockwave wash over me as I heard the doorbell ring. I deemed myself a mess before I even got out of bed, and this mess still hadn't prepared for the day.

When I hesitantly pulled the door open, I saw Joby standing there with Scotty on the end of a leash. [c/n] walked up cautiously before giving Scotty a curious sniff. Joby took in my disheveled appearance but seemed to be left almost totally unphased by it.

"Uh, hi... Um..." Joby greeted me, flicking his hand in a motion similar to a halfhearted wave. "Scotty wanted to go on a walk with a pretty girl, so I brought him to the prettiest one I know," Joby tells me, giving me a cautionary grin.

"Did you rehearse that on your way here?" I questioned, leaning in the doorframe. I took a glance at [c/n] as she walked back into my living room, leaving me behind. I tried to ignore the fact he told me that despite how deranged I looked at the moment.

"Maybe. Did I uh... Did I wake you?" He inquires, giving me a look up and down. I raise my brows, understanding he was mostly referencing my tired eyes, messy hair, and pajamas.

"Ah, no, I was eating breakfast. Do you want to come in?"

"If [c/n] is okay with it," Joby says. I give him a confused look. "Scotty's a dog, I'm just... I'm worried he'll chase her." He adds, and my face twists for a second in realization.

"Ah, right. Yeah, come in. She'll be fine. She has her own little hiding places to run off to if she wants." I tell him, stepping back to allow him to enter my home. "Can I get you anything? And would you mind taking your shoes off before you come in?"

"No, no, I'm good." Joby smiles, awkwardly closing the door behind him before kicking off his shoes and leaving them by the door. "Do you... Want to come on the walk with me? Scotty and I?"

"Yeah! Sure! I just need to finish my cereal first, is that okay?" I tell him.

"Sure thing, Sparky." He smiles. I lead him and Scotty into the living room, stepping into the kitchen. [c/n] went up into my room, feeling startled around the dog in the house. She'd warm up to him though, I'm sure.

"Is that nickname going to stick?"

"As long as smokey does, yes." He responds, shooting me a sly smile as I reenter the living room with my bowl of cereal. I sit down on the floor in front of Joby, setting my food down to give Scotty a quick scratch behind the ears.

"I like your hair like that."

"Like what?"

"All messy," he tells me, "I think it looks cute." I look up at him with a bright surprise hidden in my eyes.

"You do?" I begin to crack a smile. He gives me a quick nod.

"Of course." He says. I feel my cheeks pinken and I turn my head to look over at my bowl, picking it up and beginning to finish it off. There was about half of it remaining, but I generally make quick work of breakfast foods. He smiles down at me.

"Do you mind if I have a quick smoke? I haven't had one yet today." He asks.

"Ah. You going to light it with the lighter you stole from me?" I ask him, grinning.