Part 12: Uncertain Ends

.  •  .°  • *. •. .

(POV: Lo'ak)

"Stay back!" I shouted, a devastating crack running right through my words, piercing them and straining my lungs.
"I'm warning you!"

"With what? Her?" Is what he said.

I didn't care much about what he was saying, more-so what he was doing. I had no time to dwell on insults, neither did I have the capacity to feel an ounce of offence. I hissed at him, proving nothing.

He got closer, closer, closer, so close until he grabbed me by the arm.

"No." I growled in distress, struggling against his almighty grip as I pleaded in my strength to not let Ni'teya out of my protection.
"No! Get off— Let me go! Let me g—"

I was pulled away from her against my dying will.

"No!" is all I could come out forthright with as I watched her head fall onto solid ground, my chest tightening even more somehow, making breathing turn mechanical.

The ground beneath me then started to raise. The ship was beginning to move. He pulled me further, further and further away until he started to use great force to push me back in the direction we'd come from. He used his arms to hold me where I was as I hopelessly tried to make my way back over to her, yelling too many things for me to keep track of.

He pushed me towards her, then to the side of her.

"Teya—" I called, a raspiness only achievable by a built up lump in one's throat was heard.

She didn't answer me. I couldn't see her eyes open. I couldn't see her move.

"Teya!" I got louder, my stress levels reaching an all-time high.

He pushed me more and more.

"Ni'teya! Get up! Go—" I desperately needed her to show me a sign. Anything, it would've been fine. But she was still.

"Ni'teya—" I gasped into my speech, pulling away from the man as much as I could possibly, making him leave traces of his deepened nail marks that turned red at the brink of blood.

"Get up, Ni'teya. Get up!" I screamed in misery, completely ignoring anything but her unmoving body lying there. I didn't take notice of my tears that had been falling for some time, or the shaking that overwhelmed my body completely.

"Come on—" I chocked, my screams not as loud as before as my voice didn't allow such volume.

I neared the edge of the ship, looking down at the height it had managed to reach, not giving it a second thought as I only had one. — With one last yelp of her name, I lost sight of her.

"Hey— Hey, no— No!"

Quaritch had shoved me before I could counter it, sending me falling straight through the air, down towards the sea. If I'd have yelled as I fell, nobody would've heard me. The wind was too mighty and the rain had started to sweep in, meaning that when I resurfaced from the water after contact with it, I could barely catch sight of the ship.

No, no, no, no

"No!" I screamed once again in despair, looking up as I tried to control my swimming as best I could in the newly unsteady waters.