Chapter 1: A Life Out of Ashes

Three Years Later...

Lucia POV:

My eyes flutter open as a voice from downstairs calls out to me. My mother.

"Lucia! Despierta mi hija! Breakfast is ready!"

I get up slowly, stretching my body out on my bed like a cat waking up from a nap. I've been awake for a while but I didn't want to get up.

Reluctantly, I respond to her.

"I'm coming!"

Slipping out of bed, I walk toward my closet. My favorite color is pale blue so looking into the clothing I own, most of it is a mesh of pale blue clothing. For today, I pick out a white short-sleeved blouse with a light blue skirt that reaches down to my ankles. Putting on blue espadrille shoes, I look in the mirror that is against the wall of my room.

Looking at my reflection is hard sometimes. Not that I think I'm ugly. I would like to think I'm relatively pretty. Maybe not the most beautiful girl in the Encanto, but revolting is definitely not a word I would use to describe myself. I just don't...like looking at my face.

Roughly, I'm 5'3. My hair is black, just like my mother's, and very long. It's around the length of where my waist is. It's a pain having to maintain it, but cutting it always seems like a bad idea for me. So I haven't. Most of the girls in the village are jealous of my hair because it's naturally straight. After a few minutes, I chose to just keep it down for today. My skin has always been pale. I never seem to tan, only burn. I have a few small freckles on my face and my lips are pink. Around my neck is a small silver chain holding onto a golden wedding ring. I place it under my blouse.

Once everything is in place, I walk over to the kitchen. My mother Sofia is there, wearing a white dress with black trimmings on it. The sleeves on it end right around her elbows. Her shoes are like mine, only colored black. Her black hair is long too, but up in a tight bun with some white in it now. She's tanned due to her job having her be outside a lot. She helps a local woman run a flower shop. My mother loves gardening so much that she has a massive garden in our backyard where she grows fruits and flowers of all types.

"Happy Birthday, mija. You look very pretty, Lucia." My mom says as she reaches out to me, taking both my hands as she observes me. "Are you ready to be twenty today?"

I blow air out of my lips. She laughs at my lack of enthusiasm and motions for me to sit down at the table. She brings me a plate of potatoes with eggs, one of my favorite breakfast meals. She places a cup of coffee next to the plate as well as a ketchup bottle.

"Well mija, what are you planning on doing today?"

I shrug as I place ketchup on the side of the plate. "I was thinking of going to the library today. I like volunteering there. Then, I was going to go to the art museum and ask if they need any employees."

A smile appears on her face. "You do have very amazing art. I think you will be an excellent employee for them. Who knows, you may even be better than them."

For once I laugh at her. "Yeah, I'm not sure about that mama. They are pretty skilled compared to me. And they have years of experience under their belt."

"Well, whatever you do today, make sure to have fun. Enjoy it. Okay?" She turns to go upstairs to get ready for work, then yells out, "Also, don't take too long doing your things today! Remember today is the ceremony for the youngest child of the Madrigal family! The entire village is going and so are we!"

"Alright mami, I will!" I shout back.

I finish my breakfast and wash my dishes. I grab my bag with my sketchbook inside before making my way through the door.