Chapter 13: A Nightfall of Fire

Lucia POV: 

It's been a few hours of me and my boyfriend laying outside in the makeshift mini-house I made with my voice. We used the blankets for a softer cushion for us to lay on and the extra blankets Mirabel brought us to cover ourselves and also keep mosquitos out. I'm lying on his chest, trying to process everything that happened today. 

'My boyfriend is asleep...I think. I don't know if he snores. I would assume he does, but he isn't. He hasn't said anything in a while. His breathing is even...'

I sigh quietly, burying myself closer to him. Thankfully, he seems to emit heat from his body. That helps me keep warm since for whatever reason it gets very cold at night. 

My thoughts shift from my boyfriend to my father. 

'What would he think about what I've done? Would he be scared of me too? Or would he fight to keep me in the village?'

'Why?' I think to myself. 'Why?' 

I turn away from my boyfriend, curling into a ball. My eyes begin to heat up as I feel anger trying to come out of my veins. My blood burns like hot water rising to the surface. I'm fighting to keep everything inside my body. It feels like my whole body is fighting against each other. 

'Why?'

I slip out of the little tent. I feel consumed by the emotions filling my body. The look on my mother's face haunts me as I stare out into the river. The water was so quiet. Yet my mind is so loud. 

'My mom knew this whole time...that I had powers. She avoided making me upset because...she knew what i could do...she was scared of me...my father would have been terrified of me...'

A gasp escapes my mouth as I try to calm my breathing. My chest seems to rise faster and faster while my heart beats so hard against it that it hurts. 

'I should have seen the smoke coming. I thought it was a barbecue. I should have been faster that day. Maybe I could have pushed my mom out of the way faster before the horse ran her down. So my father could have focused on running for himself. I should have done more.'

Getting down on my knees, tears begin to slip out of my eyes. I struggle to not scream. I'm stuck in this battle of wits of not letting anything out for a while before I feel hands on my shoulders. 

"It's okay, Lucia," Camillo whispers, his hands rubbing my shoulders. "Let it out."

I look at him. "I...I can't...it's going to..."

"I know." He says. "But you have to let it out. So...do it. Scream. Cry. Do it all and get it out of your system. I can take it."

Staring at him through my tears, I get up slowly. He does the same and I lead him towards the water. I look out against the mountains. 

"Why...why..." I mutter. I keep muttering it, and each time I repeat it gets louder. The area around us begins to glitch out. Color appearing and disappearing like the day Mirabel had me trying on dresses. The water begins to move in a fast manner, like rough waves in an ocean. The wind suddenly begins to warp around us. 

"Why...why...WHY?!" I scream, earning a large splash of water blowing up in the direction I'm facing. 

"WHY?!" The ground beneath us shakes. 

"WHY?!" A crack appears on the ground beneath me. It enlarges at the emotions pouring out of me. 

"WHY?! WHY?!" Trees begin to tip over. I let out a scream, watching the ground break apart in front of me. Camillo visibly jumps a little as the land around us gets destroyed. A crater forms and I can't stop. I scream again. And again. Holes the size of my room form. The explosions are so loud that for a moment, all I hear is ringing in my ears.