Chapter 6: The Bluemoon Festival

Lucia POV:

"It's so beautiful," I whisper to Camillo in silent shock at the sight in front of us. 

The village is covered in gorgeous blue decorations. Since blue is my favorite color, this is like a dream. There are ribbons, signs, artworks, and table covers of all kinds covering the various areas. And there are various shades of blue used from a dark navy to a beautiful sky blue. Crescent and full moon cutouts are everywhere as well as golden stars being waved around on sticks by the local children. It's kind of like a fair. Games and rides around to entertain people of all ages. 

Food carts sit around with people giving out all sorts of goodies. Full meals or snacks. Sweets and treats. The air around us smells incredibly nice and my stomach slowly begins to rumble. 

Suddenly, I watched as the fountain that I always sit by at lunchtime froze. The water then forms a beautiful ice sculpture in the shape of a moon. It's incredibly detailed with the craters and shapes formed. Close by, I can see Camillo's nephew Armando smiling proudly at himself. 

"That kid is mastering his gift so fast," Camillo says. 

He looks a little salty at the kid and I shove him lightly. "It didn't come naturally to you?"

My date shakes his head. "Not exactly. I could shapeshift into simple things, but nothing complex until after a year." 

I hesitate, then decide that since we are on a date, blunt flirting is available. "Well...it's a good thing I prefer you how you are."

That seems to cheer him up because he gives me that damn sly smile. "Is that so?"

I roll my eyes at him. "Come on Camillo, I'm not blind. You...you're..."

"I'm?" 

"Cute." I spit out. My face heats up so fast it feels like blood is going to spill out of it. 

He starts laughing really hard as he takes my hand and leads me toward the vendors for food. As I'm trying to regain my composure, the smells coming from the stands fill my mind. I can smell tomato soup with grilled cheese. I also see biscuits, mashed potatoes with gravy on the side, and even more that I can't describe over the roar of my stomach growling. 

Camillo and I look at each other with the same face we made at the café when we saw the desserts. We end up ordering so much food that we almost buy out all their stuff. We get a little bit of everything and sit down on a bench near a small park. 

We both eat our food as we talk. I ask Camillo about his family and how they've been in the time I haven't seen them. He tells me about his parents and how in love with each other they are. He doesn't see his sister that much anymore, but when he does she always seems much happier than before when she was forced to watch her future husband be engaged to her cousin who didn't even love him. His little brother has his own thing going on. He is constantly researching animal facts and every time his mom takes him to the library, they look for books on animals he still doesn't have. 

Camillo then asks me about my job. I tell him what I know. 

"In a few days, they're giving me a canvas and I have to give them my best work," I tell him as I eat the mashed potatoes.

"Ooo! That's great Lucia. That means you've been working hard." He says, biting into his grilled cheese. "What are you going to paint?"

I think for a moment. "I don't know. I'm not sure what to center it on. I mean I know that I want it to be outside, but...I'm not sure that will be enough. I mean tons of people capture outside environments in art. How do I make mine more...unique?"