Chapter 7: An Artist's Chance

Lucia POV:

"So do I have a potential son-in-law now?" My mom asks as I slice into the eggs she prepared for me. 

"Mami!" I practically shriek as I struggle not to shout too loud for the sake of the house. 

"I'm kidding!" She says, laughing as she runs a hand down my hair. "But well...how did it go?"

I sigh deeply. "Well...it ended in me no longer being single."

My mother jumps up from her seat, surprise and happiness filling her face as she runs around the kitchen gleefully. She shouts various things as I continue eating my food, giggling at how happy she seems. 

"My daughter is dating a Madrigal! Ay, dios mío!! Camillo Madrigal finally has a girlfriend and it's my daughter!"

I laugh at her as I finish my plate and wash it to be polite. As I pack my bag for work, I get a message in my notebook. I opened it to see what Camillo had written to me. 

'Jesus Christ, my family will not shut the fuck up about us being a thing. Have you told your mom yet?'

Giggling, I draw a picture of my mom prancing around our kitchen as I sit at the table trying to eat my breakfast. 

'Oh, my God.' Camillo writes along with some laughing faces. 

'I can only imagine how your mother is doing right now. Is the house flooded?' I write to him. 

Camillo then draws a poorly drawn picture of a river in their house with him on a boat holding a book. I laugh as he adds, 'Let's just say there's a reason I'm in my room with the dresser at the door.'

We talk about our plans for the day and he reminds me of something. 'Are you getting your canvas today?'

'Oh my God, I forgot about that! I have to pick something to paint on it.' 

'You still haven't decided?'

'No.' I respond with a sad face. 'I'm terrible at drawing people, so no, I will not be painting you.'

'Am I too ugly?' Camillo writes, sending sad faces to me. 

'No hermoso, you are not ugly. I just don't want to give the village girls too much fanart of you because then they'll never leave you alone.' 

'Good point.' My boyfriend says, 'How about choosing an environment that means a lot to you? The river maybe?'

I think about it. I have spent a lot of time there. It's where I've practiced my powers. Learned about myself. Bonded with Mirabel. And it's now where me and Camillo shared our first kiss. I look at the stuffed bear on my bed as a smile grows on my face. 

'Yeah. You have a good point there pretty boy. I'll go over there once I get the canvas. Do you think your cousin Isabella could make me some fresh paint? I want this to be my best work.'

My boyfriend replies. 'Yes, she can. She's been asking me lately if you needed any. I'll bring them to you later."

Smiling, I send him a goodbye message as I place my book in my bag. After making sure I have everything I need for today, I walk over to work. 

To my surprise, Mirabel is there waiting for me. When she sees me coming, she runs over and throws herself at me. 

"OH MY GOD LUCIAAAA!!!" She shrieks, squeezing me so tightly that my lungs practically collapse. "I can't believe you're dating my cousin! Okay look, I know you have work right now, but later will you join me for lunch at the café? I want details!"