Chapter 12: Confronting The Past

Camillo POV

"LUCIA!!!" I scream, reaching my hand out toward her. She takes it but doesn't move. Her grip on my hand tightens so much, I wince at the pain.

"AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Lucia screams, the sound so loud it forces me to cover my ears. I watch in shock as the tower breaks apart in front of us and flies in the other direction. That's not the only thing that breaks. The stage in front of us disintegrates into nothing. The shaking stops and everything suddenly becomes very still.

I hear people behind us, standing up slowly, checking to see if they're okay. I hear whispers too, though I can't tell what they're saying.

"Lu...Lucia?" I ask, getting up slowly.

She turns around, her eyes full of tears. "I..."

"Monster!" I hear someone scream.

I turn around. It was that Mateo kid. He points at my girlfriend. "You did that, didn't you?! You destroyed everything."

"N...no. No I-I didn't. I just wanted to...I wanted to protect..."

I turn around. Lucia looks mortified, her eyes wide. Her breathing is heavy. She turns away from me.

"Stay away from me."

With that, she takes off running, leaving me crying in vain after her.

Lucia POV:

I run to my house. Running upstairs, I grab a bag as I try to think straight. I start to pack as many things as I can think of. A pillow, a blanket, a water jug, my notebook, the plush wolf Antonio gave me, and the plush that Camilo stole for me.

Adrenaline rushes through my veins as I pack.

'The vision was right. I...I screamed. I screamed in front of the whole village. They know. Everyone knows. The Madrigals all know. My coworkers know. My boyfriend knows.' I swallow hard. 'My mother knows.'

Panic continues to rush through me as I go downstairs to grab food. I shove a big container of tamales that my mom made the other day into the bag when I hear the front door open.

'Great.' I say, dropping my bag and running upstairs. I hear my mom yell after me, along with footsteps coming up. I run into my room, blocking the doorknob with a chair. I curl into a ball, feeling like I'm about to pass out.

"Lucia Gomez! Open this door now!" I hear my mom scream outside. She's trying to open the door, but can't because it's blocked. She shouts a bunch of questions at me as I try to drown out her voice with humming. "What was that?!

"Please just...just shut up!" I scream at the door, watching in fear as my room becomes messy. Items get thrown around and some floorboards become unstable.

"What was that?!" My mom calls. "What happened?"

I try to wait her out for a while, but it's obvious she's not going to leave. I stand up and open the door. I push my mom out of the way and go downstairs to keep packing.

"Lucia! You can't leave!" My mom screams at me.

I ignore her, continuing to find things to shove into the bag. My mom grabs my arm, yanking my bag out of my hands.

"Give it back," I say, motioning for her to give it.

¨Lucia...you can't just leave!¨ She yells. Then, she starts pacing around. ¨Ay dios...what can we even do? The entire village saw you...they must be so afraid.¨

My body feels numb. I look at the person in front of me. My mother. The same one who closes off at the mention of our previous lives. Before the Encanto. Our lives in Las Pleledge. The days when my father was here. When his hugs were only moments away. When he would cut both mine and my mother's hair. The days when I would be so excited at the thought of him taking us out for ice cream afterward. My mom was loving then. Open. Caring. She would ask me how I was doing or how I was feeling.