Chapter 4

Your POV

You walked it the room you shared with a couple other kids and heard sniffling. You looked around and eventually found Emma hunched over and crying.

"Emma, what happened?" you asked.

"I'm not feeling well, I can't sleep, can I stay with you?" she asked you.

"Sure."

You sat there with Emma, stroking her head for a while.

After a bit, you looked over at Emma, who had already fallen asleep, the tears long dried up. "Goodnight Emma. I promise we'll escape."

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

"Thank you for the food!" everyone chanted.

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

After the test was over everyone went outside to play. You went to go sit beside Ray at the tree on the hill.

"When will we tell them?" you asked him.

"Soon. Just trust me," he answered.

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

"Ray! Mom's with Emma!" you whispered.

"I'll take care of it, don't worry," he told you, patting your head.

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

"Let's go," Ray said to you and pulled your hand.

"Where are we going?" you asked.

"To talk to them."

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

"I've been thinking about it and we can tell Y/n and Ray. Their both levelheaded, so they wouldn't freakout," Emma said.

"I've been thinking that too," Norman responded. "Ray's knowledge and Y/n is persuasive. Emma, why don't you go back, I'll talk to them."

"It's fine, you can tell us now," Ray said, stepping out of the bushes.

"Sorry we followed you," you apologized.

"Let us explain to you," Emma started.

"Demons, a farm. Isn't that seriously bad? Oh that explains the grated windows," Ray rambled.

"Y/n?" Norman asked you.

'I have to pretend I don't know,' you thought. So you did the only thing you could think of. You looked up at Norman with tears in your eyes.

"Y/n?" Emma asked.

"That means Conny died?" you said.

"Yes. But don't worry, we'll escape with everyone!" Emma assured you.

"If we're really going to escape," Ray started. "We're going to need to narrow down the number of people."

"H-hold on! I want to escape with everyone!" Emma exclaimed.

"Everyone? You're kidding right?" Ray scoffed in disbelief. "There's 37 of us. Most of us are under the age of six. With a bunch of risk factors, how do you expect us to escape? It's impossible."

"I know that but, I don't think it's impossible!" Emma said.

"Ah I see."

"Ray wait!" Norman exclaimed.

"That's why you said I'll talk to Ray and Y/n," Ray said. "Emma we can't escape. It's not enough. Outside is a demon world. If we take them outside, they'll all die. We have to leave them behind."

"No!" Emma blatantly argued. "Let's figure it out! Even if it's impossible, I want everyone to escape! I don't want all of us to die outside. But leaving them behind isn't an option. If there's no place for humans to live, then let's make one outside. Let's change the world."

"That kind of escape?"

"Ray. you bend on this, got it?! Stop jabbering and help us!"

"Norman, can I talk to you for a second?" Ray asked, pulling Norman by the collar.

"Y/n, are you okay?" Emma asked you.

"It's just, a lot."

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

"Look at the year this book was published," Ray said.

"2015," Norman answered.

"Exactly, this is the most recently published book. So at least until 2015, it was a world where books could get published."

"Thirty years ago."

"It's possible there's a human society outside, but I'm not going to gamble with no chance of winning. Know the outside. Know the enemy. Come up with a strategy. And survive."