(xviii.ii) unrequited and unconditional

Rantaro looks up from where he's curled up into a ball to see Akira looming over him, his expression sour as ever. He huffs, frowning as he turns his head to look away. He doesn't want to entertain any bullshit today, especially not from the fucker who basically got handed you on a platter. It was unfair. It was unfair. It was unfair. 

"Get the fuck up, Rantaro," Akira grunts. "People are going to start staring." 

Receiving no response, Akira simply hauls Rantaro up, yanking him up and dragging him along. Rantaro briefly considers kicking and screaming, but it's not like Akira would let go. Plus, no matter what he did, people really didn't interfere with the guy who was pretty much unanimously declared a murderer by the student body. If only people knew how wrong those rumours were. If only people knew how much worse reality was.

Cold-blooded killer, huh, Rantaro thinks. Must've been because of the whole situation back then. Rumours spread like wildfire, but they didn't even manage to keep any details intact. 

"Kaito," Akira says, voice softer than Rantaro's ever heard it. Funnily enough, it's the gentleness that snaps him back to reality, not Akira dropping him on the cold ground. In all the years they'd known each other, Akira had never been a gentle person. But this...was something different.

The grain of the floor was familiar enough. They were in the student council room, dimly lit as ever with a few candles here and there, just enough to make out each other. It wasn't a room with windows, it wasn't a room that was accessible. That was just the way the student council operated. That was just the way this game worked.

Akira stands behind him. Perhaps to keep guard, just in case he makes an attempt to bolt. A fair assumption, but he had nowhere to run today. After all, you were busy with that woman today, and there was nothing he could say to change that. He grits his teeth at the mere thought of it. Fuck, it wasn't fair. 

The action draws a laugh from the man in front of him. A soft, scarcely stifled chuckle. A dainty little laugh for a dainty little man. He looks up to glare at Kaito, but the glint in his eyes is knowing. Kaito has always known more than he should, and Rantaro hates him for it. 

"How's it going, loverboy?" Kaito hums, his voice lilting. "How are you handling the rejection?"

"You know damn well how it's going," Rantaro growls. "Keep your fucking nose out of this!"

"Well, that's just not possible," Kaito says, frowning. "We did have a deal, after all. You did promise to keep this from happening. You know what's going to happen now."

"You don't even like her! Why are you pulling this fucking bullshit, Kaito?" Rantaro yells, slamming his fist on the ground. "Dammit!"

"Oh, Rantaro," Kaito says, raising a hand to his mouth to show at masking his clearly undeterred giggles. "You've managed to both be correct and be horribly, horribly wrong."

Rantaro can feel the atmosphere behind him drop, the tension in the room rising noticeably. He knows. He knows what Kaito is going to say. He can feel it in the dread that clogs his very throat. So before he can hear something he absolutely cannot stand, he plays his own card.

"There was something off about the letter that day. There were three of them, but their handwritings were pretty damn similar. Of course, I'd recognise Akane's handwriting, because I was trying to stop this fucking thing from happening...but I've never seen yours."

Kaito grins. Rantaro looks at him, disgusted.

"You made Akira write Akane's confession letter for her, didn't you, Kaito?"

A/N:
Things make less sense before they make more sense, I swear! There's a lot going on behind the scenes here-- both between the boys, and with your beloved Akane. Let's play five truths and a lie, alright?

In other, less confusing, news: I'm almost in college! I've got my application results back, and wow...that was a process and a half. Aside from that, I'm not gonna be your standard fanfic author who almost got isekai-d and continued to write, but uhhh...I'm getting pretty close! I'm gonna start including more A/N sections 'cause you guys are hilarious. I can't always respond to comments, but I do try to see them all when I get time. 

It warms my heart-- unless you guys are being horny for Alice, in which case...I have a huge baseball bat to bonk you on the head with! (Which is kind of hypocritical, because I've been considering the dynamics of ... happy-happy fun times with the Love Interests, if you catch my drift. Whoops...)

Anyway, I'm curious about your thoughts! Use this A/N as a place to drop anything on your mind right now. Be it feedback, theories, fanart, or hell, even spin-off fanfics, I wanna see it! I'm trying to redraw the references for these guys, so expect a few changes going forward! Take care, my little fucknuts <3