(xx) hell is empty, you are the devil

As you walk with Akane to class, you really do feel like you're floating. Fingers intertwined...how natural it feels. It's simply fascinating, just how comfortable, just how right it feels. Her hand is softer than you could ever imagine a hand to be, delicately and small and comfortable to hold.  Granted, even if you were not one to prefer physical touch, the contact with people you cared for was an exception— and what an exception Akane was, really. Your eyes remain on Akane, watching as she watches the world around her, too flustered to look back and lock eyes with you. You find yourself marvelling at how adorable she is, as she pulls you forward, coaxing a stray cat from a gutter. Unwilling to let go of you, unwilling to let go of what she believes in.

"...you're so kind," you say.

"You're the one who taught me how to be," she says, smiling softly. 

That doesn't seem right, you think. I've not spoken with her enough to have taught her something. Besides...I wouldn't consider myself particularly kind, either. Something isn't quite right. 

Akane turns around to look at you, your lips pursed thoughtfully. "Is something the matter?"

"...no," you lie, shaking your head. "Just thinking."

Akane chuckles. "You're always thinking about something, aren't you? Let me into that big brain of yours sometime, alright?"

You feel your worries melt away as she laughs softly, because it really does feel like everything is alright when she laughs so gently. It's sweet. It's warm. It's so very addicting. You don't get how it evokes such strong feelings in you despite the fact that you haven't been this entangled with her for very long. Rantaro and you have talked before, love is just like that, supposedly. Even if you've only scarcely known them, it feels like forever. It's supposed to just click into place. 

'Love is about finding your best friend,' Rantaro says. 'Someone who is irreplaceable in your life!'

You stare at him. 'I still don't get it. If you put it like that, you make it seem like you want to marry me.'

'Gosh!' Rantaro huffs, pouting. You can see the tips of his ears redden. 'It's not like that, y'know! There are different kinds of love. Besides romantic, there's also platonic love and familial love and things like that. Don't go jumping to conclusions like that!'

But you never jump to conclusions, and he knows that as well as you do. It's not a direct confession, but you know him well enough to know that he's lying. In this case, his very definition of love was you. You're not stupid enough to be blind to that, but it's precisely because you aren't stupid that you don't address it. To him, you're too dense about emotions to recognise that he has feelings for you. While he's not entirely wrong, he's not entirely right. Emotions are not just about innately understanding what a person feels-- there's also the external. Through study, at least, you've managed to puzzle them out. Through the study of Rantaro, specifically, of course. 

That old memory lingers in your head as Akane clasps your hand once more, entering the class. She's quickly surrounded by people calling for her, eager for her attention. She smiles apologetically at you and tries to break free. You shake your head and nod at her, she's allowed her life outside of you. 

Despite that, you have to try your best not to mind the attention she gets. 

A/N: I DREW KAITO HIII !! I DREWWW HIMMM... he's so pretty to me for no reason. love that guy he's so cute. even if he's a little crazy it's okay i support him. my babygirl <3

 my babygirl <3