(vii) jealousy consumes me like the void that devours lost souls

You're a little taken aback. It's a confession, albeit not the one you were expecting. The girl seems to really have a crush on you, nervously fighting with a loose curl of her hair as she waits for a reply.

On closer inspection, the girl is quite beautiful. She's got short, ebony curls that frame her face like intricate carvings and soft caramel skin that shimmers with beauty just beneath the surface. She's quite short, maybe a little below average height, and is curvy and, perhaps, little chubby. Her uniform, while done up neatly, is rather baggy, so it's hard to tell. Overall, she glows with a hidden power, a raging intensity. You don't know what or why, but she's aiming for something huge, and giving it everything she's got.

It's a gorgeous gleam, shimmering with incredibly motivated ambition. You feel yourself shiver, drawn in by the power she's radiating.

Face flushed, she abashedly tucks a curl behind her ear, and you find yourself appreciating her aesthetic qualities. You think that this might be a good way to force Rantaro to interact with other people, and you think it might not be bad to spend time with this girl, as her ambition is appealing to you.

"Of course," you say, a small, but gentle smile on your face.

The girl turns bright red, going stock-still, before nearly bursting at the seams with a mixture of disbelief and pure joy.

"Oh, wow!" She exclaims, grinning wide. "You mean it?"

"Why wouldn't I?" you say, slightly confused by this.

She laughs, palms pressed against her flushed cheeks in excitement. She stops for a second, eyes widening, before nervously fiddling with her hair once more.

"What's wrong?" You ask.

"Ah, um-" she stutters, blushing furiously. "Do you mind if we...hold hands?"

You clasp her hand with both of yours and her eyes blow open. She frantically tries to hide her rapidly colour-changing face in her free hand, and at the sight of it, you giggle. You find yourself wondering if people have always filled you with this kind of warmth, and you think that this is a first of some sort.

As she moves her hand, however, you see the crest of the student council president be revealed. Your eyebrows shoot up in surprise, no one had seen the student council president since their election, and it had gotten to the point where people no longer knew who the president even was.

And yet, here she was, professing her love for you.

What concerned you was how she was willing to risk outing herself just to be able to confess to you, which you may not even have accepted. Perhaps if you were more hostile, she could have been executed. But then you would have to take her place, and that would be rather annoying. You didn't care much for people besides yourself, with a few exceptions.

As you mulled over the situation, you realised that if she wasn't the student council president, and you had picked the wrong person, it would be you that was executed instead, which would also be too much of a hassle. Of course, she could very likely be a decoy, since the rules of the game simply state that any and all school crests and badges must be worn in a visible manner.

The girl looks at your face, recognising that you're thinking about something, then looks at her badge. She looks back at you, and smiles warmly, giggling.

She points at the badge and says, "You're concerned about this, right?"

You shake your head, you're not concerned so much as mildly interested. You're not sure, though, if it's a good idea for the girl to be out here.

"Oh!" She exclaims, clapping her hands. "I can't believe I forgot to introduce myself! How rude of me!"

"..." You pause for a moment, you do know her, but her face seems so excited for her to share something, you don't mind. "I'm already aware of your name, but do go on."

"No, silly! You know me as Minami!" She says, smiling wide, then leans in, her lips by your ear, to whisper, "But my real name is Akane."

"By the way," she barely whispers, nervously fiddling with the oversized sleeves of her cardigan. "Why did you never reply to any of the letters in your locker?"

Your brain grinds to a screeching halt. You blink twice, perhaps trying to make sense of what she says. You've never received any letters, there's nothing in your locker, you even carry your school shoes with you. You haven't put anything your locker since it was utterly defaced a few years ago. If you really needed to store anything, Rantaro would stash it in his own locker. Even when you did check it, as you did every day, just in case there were student notices left there, there were no letters. Just notes informing you that you'd have to tutor this or that poorly performing kid.

"There weren't," you say, confused. "There were never any letters in my locker. Nobody likes me."

She gasps, lightly smacking you on the arm with her oversized sleeve. "I like you! I like you a lot! Don't ever say that!"

"But," she pauses for a moment, her eyebrows furrowed. "A lot of kids leave notes in your locker, you have a lot of admirers."

"I've never seen any." You say, narrowing your eyes at her. "There's nothing in my locker, there's always been nothing in my locker."

The girl scrunches up her nose, and you're distracted for a moment by how cute it is, she looks like a little bunny. You feel yourself smile slightly. She looks over your shoulder, and you follow her gaze to the boy you've forgotten about.

Rantaro's face is blank, pensive. You realise you've never really seen him like that before. He's always been more energetic, more full of life. Yet he stands there, leaning against a tree, staring vacantly at the cloudy sky. He isn't really doing anything, and it feels wrong to see him so listless.

"Rantaro," you say, voice still too soft for him to hear.

He turns anyway, blank eyes meeting yours, then brightening up all of a sudden. He rushes towards you, arms wide open.

"Angel," he say, nearly jumping for joy. "I've missed you so much!"

"It's been five minutes," you say, sighing. "Besides, I've been right here."

"But," Rantaro looks up at you, pouting. "I missed you!"

You seem rather flustered, unable to respond to Rantaro's ridiculous antics. Akane giggles and you feel your ears flush.

"So," Akane says softly, extending her hand for you to hold. "Do you wanna go somewhere?"

You're going to reply with an affirmative yes, but then you remember what you said to Rantaro earlier in the day. You promised to go get coffee with him after he'd answered the confession. You sigh, slightly annoyed by the situation.

You're not sure what decision you should take.

(A/N: THIS IS AN IMPORTANT DECISION THAT CHANGES THE FATE OF THE STORY! PICK RANTARO, AKANE, OR TELL ME WHAT ELSE YOU COULD DO.)