(xii) forgive me, my love, for i have forgotten how much you truly mean

The boy gets down on a knee, gently brushing his lips against your knuckles. He tilts his head, the slightest of smiles on his face.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," he says.

"The pleasure is all mine," you reply.

He hooks his arm around yours and you lead him inside your house. You can feel both your parents and and his parents looking intently at you. You resist the urge to scowl, instead looking over at Akira, a soft smile on your face, batting your eyelashes at him.

"Shall we take this outside?" you say. "It's a lovely evening, isn't it?"

He nods, an almost imperceptible smile on his face. You walk out onto the balcony, and shut the door behind you, creating the illusion of privacy, hoping your parents aren't trying to watch you.

You cross your arms, sighing. "You're the last person I expected to see here playing Prince Charming."

Akira shrugs, frowning. "You're no Cinderella either."

"That's pretty obvious, isn't it," you say, rolling your eyes. "But what I'm more curious about is the student council."

Akira raises an eyebrow at you, before leaning against the balcony railing with a sigh.

"Your card. What is it?"

"None." He scoffs. "What? Thought you needed one? 'S all Alice."

"All...Alice? Even Minami?"

"She's a little different." Akira says, sighing. "She knew how the game was going to be played before we played it."

"Was that Rantaro's fault?" You ask, drumming your fingers on the railing.

"...how'd you know?"

"Guessed."

Akira raises his eyebrows, but nods anyways. He sighs, and you cross your arms and watch him.

"The game," you say. "Do you know anything more?"

"I know less, if anything," Akira says, looking up at the sky. "Kaito won the game for me."

"You asked him to play in your stead?"

"...he did it himself. For reasons."

"Athena's murder, was it?" You muse. "If you hadn't been playing the game that day, the blame all pointed to you. But you were playing the game, so they had to abandon the case."

Akira doesn't say anything more.

"I didn't do it, I was with Kaito when he played. I don't care if you don't believe me...is that what you're going to say?"

Akira simply shrugs, his attention no longer on you. It irritated you for a moment, because you were pretty sure the two of you were having a conversation, but it was best not to press him.

Akira stares the sky, watching the stars glimmer.

"You look nice," he finally says.

"Oh," you say, startled. "Thank you. That was...unexpectedly sweet of you."

Akira shrugs. "It's true."

You shrug, but smile. "You're dressed like a charm too...though you do know that no amount of flattery will make me yours."

Akira looks at you, and then the sky, sighing. "...give or take a while, I guess our parents might."

"A software engineering firm..." You raise an eyebrow at him. "What do your parents run?"

"A small country." Akira says, a small smirk on his face. "...they just want me to get a partner."

"I will warn you, Rantaro did most of the cooking."

"I know, I recognise the handiwork."

You chuckle. "Good...I'm not the housewife type."

"...I can cook, that's not the issue. Besides, we have staff." Akira shrugs. "But I'd rather do things myself."

"Independence..." You sigh. "You wish to escape your parents, I presume...and escape with someone?"

"...maybe." He looks at you, then sighs, shaking his head. "Yeah. Hit the nail on the head. You probably know them..."

You pause for a moment...then realise you know exactly whom he's talking about.

"Kaito..." you say. "You're in love with Kaito."

-
A/N: HELLO EVERYONE IM BACK UHM HOW HAVE YOU BEEN I HAVE BEEN REALLY SHITTY BUT I WANNA WRITE SO HERE WE ARE!!!

ANYWAYS I WANNA REWRITE THIS KINDA BUT I WANNA FINISH IT FIRST SO WE'RE MOVING AHEAD WOOHOO