𝙘𝙡𝙞𝙘𝙝é | ryujin, itzy

-

-

"Ryujin... you..." You stutter exasperatedly at your best friend after finding out she ate the chocolates you were supposed to give to the girl you had harbored a crush on after one of their games—the captain of the baseball team, An Yujin. 

"What?" She chirps, her voice muffled and her eyebrows raised in feigned confusion. "That was for Yujin—" You rub your palms into your eyes, groaning and wishing you were hallucinating and that Shin Ryujin was, in fact, not devouring the heart-shaped chocolates.

But when you opened your eyes, she was still there, chewing loudly. "It's not like she needs any more...." She muttered after swallowing, her bottom lip jutting out as she nodded her head towards Yujin's table. Even students from different classes were entering your classroom to add to the pile of gifts on An Yujin's table. You bit your lip in thought, realizing that Ryujin was right.

Your gift would just be an insignificant addition to the pile.

"Hey, cheer up." The girl beside you spoke, resting her head on the palm of her hand, elbow on her desk. "Do you want me to get you some chocolate croissants from our favorite bakery after school? My Valentine's treat."

You snort but take notice of how her face softened from her earlier teasing smirk, unable to stop the smile from creeping onto your lips at her statement. "Alright... Do you not have plans today?" Ryujin lets out a hearty laugh at this, snorting. "Well, I do..." You furrowed your brows. "Then why would you—"

"With you." She finishes, casting a wary glance in your direction, a few strands of her hair falling over her pretty features. "Well, I mean, as a date, y'know? Valentine's things." You huffed, playing with the pencil in your hand. "Can't we do that?" You stopped twirling the pencil between your fingers.

"Do what?"

"Valentine... stuff."

"..." You catch a glance at Ryujin, then one at An Yujin in your peripheral, who had just sat on her seat, gawking at her Valentine's gifts—even sharing some with her baseball mates. It would definitely have been quite annoying to buy someone something just for someone else to end up eating it all up.

You find yourself furrowing your brows as you notice that you're looking at Yujin now, unlike before, when you couldn't even look in her direction for too long or else you'd blush for fear of being caught staring.

She's, well, just a girl, after all.

"Sure."

-

"I ate them because I was jealous." Ryujin admitted, making you choke on the croissant you were chewing on—her eyes widening as you violently hit your chest with your fist. Her hands scramble to offer you your glass of water.

Once you've calmed down, you look everywhere but at her, suddenly finding the ceiling fans in the bakery interesting.

"Jealous?" You repeat, finally meeting her gaze, She seemed to have shrunk in her seat as she gave you a little nod, her eyes big and filled with sincerity.

Ryujin did speak her mind often; she wasn't the type to beat around the bush. "It's just... if it wasn't obvious enough—I like you, [name]." She confessed, shrugging sheepishly and taking a big bite of her croissant.

You find yourself starting to smile at her fondly, you never really saw Ryujin in this light before. She had always been your rather beautiful, very endearing friend. She always managed to effortlessly bring a smile to your face, though.

But that was all she was—a friend—until today, when realization finally hits you right on Valentine's Day.

Shin Ryujin would be so easy to fall for, like, let's see... like your favorite pillow! familiar, comfy, and very, VERY huggable.

And maybe your feelings for An Yujin were like the chocolate Ryujin ate earlier this afternoon—gone and out of your system. Instead, it was replaced with this pretty flower that Ryujin had planted just today.

It's growing, and she's watering it with her little smile, as you replied to her confession with an,

"I.. think I like you too, Ryu." and you noticed how quickly the flower grew when she practically jumped in her seat, cheeks full of the delicious pastry.

Maybe falling for your best friend on Valentine's Day is... cliché, but we're all suckers for light and cheesy friends to lovers, aren't we? The kind that makes you feel all warm and cozy inside.

 cliché, but we're all suckers for light and cheesy friends to lovers, aren't we? The kind that makes you feel all warm and cozy inside