Chapter 19

I was notified of a continuity error in the last chapter and it has been fixed.

~

Whatever came rushing through the door knocked Y/n to the ground before she had a chance to react. The two tumbled to the floor. A flash of recognition crossed both of their faces, the other more so than Y/n as she was struggling to regain herself.

"Y-Y/n!" A voice spoke from beside her, the weight pressing against her shoulder quickly moving away. The girl's eyes came back into focus and she spotted Jerry's perplexed expression; he was gasping for breath, kneeling beside her. Though, out of the corner of her eye, she spotted Armen move forward, gripping the metal bat hard. Quickly, the h/c-haired contestant reached outward in front of Jerry to stop the blond from swinging.

"He's a friend!" She gasped out, still slightly winded. Armen paused, then slightly loosened his grip on the bat while eyeing the newcomer suspiciously. Jerry looked from Armen to Viviana, then back to Y/n. He murmured her name again and then reached forward, bringing her into a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry," his voice was muffled as he pressed his face into her shoulder, his hands that held her were shaking, "god...I'm so sorry...!" Y/n had patted his back once and then gripped his shoulders, pulling him back.

"What? You don't have to be sorry about anything.." She didn't understand what was he apologizing for. Jerry shook his head and bit down on his lip.

"Gilbert is dead," his voice was low, but Y/n could hear him, "he was stabbed and bleeding out...he told me to shoot him so I could escape..." He trailed off, squeezing his eyes shut, "I...I left him my gun, and then...the screen showed that I had killed him."

This information left Y/n without words and she stared at Jerry who seemed to be struggling to find anything else to say. He looked...tired, and drained while telling her this. It was understandable that he would. Y/n had lost a lot in the same time Jerry had, so she could understand how he was feeling; how he would feel in the near future too.

"You're okay, though, right?" She whispered back, squeezing his shoulder, "he was in pain, but I'm sure he was happy that he was able to see you one last time." Jerry stilled but nodded nonetheless.

There was a few seconds of silence after, dragged on by the sound of a faint beeping until Armen finally broke it.

"Sorry, I really am, but we don't have much time," he murmured as there was no need to raise his voice, "you, were you the one that screamed a few doors down?"

Jerry lifted his head, eyebrows raised, but he shook his head. This caused Y/n's blood to run cold and she looked around quickly. Then there was a high possibility that there were others nearby.

"Close the doors. We don't know if-"

"Found them!"

A new voice drowned Armen's out. Viviana, the one who stood near the door where Ann's body lay, spun around and let out a sharp cry. Armen rushed over and threw himself at the door, slamming it shut with his body. Y/n's eyes darted around on the floor; due to the sudden impact from Jerry, the gun she had taken from the man who had shot Ann fell out of her grasp. She found it rather quickly though since the room was practically empty.

Just as she grabbed the item, the sound of wood splintering filled the air. Armen, who now stumbled away from the door, stared in shock as the head of an axe pulled back from the door, right where his head would have been. His eyes fell upon Y/n, who nodded.

The h/c-haired female moved closer to the door and took aim. Just as it opened, she didn't hesitate to shoot; but it seemed that they were also expecting this; they had used Ann's corpse as a shield. The one who held it pushed forward, then tossed the body right in Y/n's direction. There wasn't anywhere else for her to go, so she braced herself. It knocked into her, hard enough that she went flailing to the ground, hitting the floor with her back first as she had leaned forward before being hit.