Chapter 6

Jami and Billy had climbed the nearest tree in search of Jasmine and the Kirbys.

They were also trying to hide from the raptor they had seen just a few minutes earlier, they had to hide behind a tree from it. They were standing on a thick tree branch side by side. Jami was breathing even heavier from the sheer panic of being separated from her father and the adrenaline from the running she had endured. She tried to slow her breathing herself, but she couldn't do it alone, it was too hard. Memories of her mother's slaughter flooded her mind, and she cried out.

Billy noticed her gasping for air and heard her cry, he quickly stepped over to her side and placed a gentle hand on her back, "hey, slow your breathing, Jamilynn," he ordered in a low tone, needing her to stay calm, "slow and steady," his voice was soft and tender, this was new.

Jami looked up at him, the fear seemed to radiate off her irises, he could see it. He shook his head before pulling her into a simple embrace, gently smoothing his hand over her thin knit sweater that covered her torso. The front of her shirt had a V-neck, which exposed her spaghetti tank top and a bit of cleavage, it was only covered by her sweater, each side having been pulled together when they were finally in the tree. She hid her tear-soaked face within Billy's chest, feeling his breathing and listening to his heartbeat, which calmed her down, knowing she was safe.

"You know, that's not even really my full name," her soft voice told him, smirking.

"Oh," he placed his chin on her head, "what is your full name, if you don't mind me asking?"

She pulled away to look at him, forcing his chin off her head, "Jami Alana Lynn Edwards-Grant," she blushed lightly, letting out a soft chuckle.

He smiled at her. It was a sweet kind of smile. "That is a very beautiful name," he said, "so, what would you prefer me to call you?"

"You can call me Jami," she paused, "just Jami, like you did earlier."

He nodded his head, "alright, Jami."

Abruptly, Billy released her, and she seemed unwilling to let go of him, which seemed to puzzle him, but she slowly shifted her arms to wrap around her own torso. He studied her face, seeing confused fear and he couldn't help but wonder why he felt drawn to her. Suddenly and a bit unwillingly, Billy looked down at Jami's lips and the thought of what it would be like to kiss them popped into his mind. He realized that he was holding his breath when she looked up at him, "what, Billy?" Jami asked curiously, "do I have a spider on my head or something?" but she didn't get a response, which worried her for she didn't want to find out there was a spider anywhere near her.

Billy made eye contact with her, then his gaze shifted down to her lips again, and before he could even comprehend what he was doing, he was already leaning in closer to her, going for her lips. Jami registered his gaze change and body movement, shaking her head in the slightest but her lips were caught by his own. He kissed her with such tenderness that she couldn't do anything else but kiss him in return. She was almost powerless to the kiss, when suddenly, she pushed him away from her, turning away from him entirely, holding herself once more.

"No," she exclaimed when she pulled away, "I shouldn't have done that," she sighed, "I shouldn't have let that happen," considering she was only sixteen years old at the time it was not a very good idea.

Billy realized what he had done and shook his head, feeling disgraceful. "No, I agree, i-it was stupid of me. I don't know what came over me," he knew she was only sixteen, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you," he was surprised by his own actions, his eyes blinked in confusion, and his mouth had dropped in the slightest. He may only be nine years older than her, but it still wasn't legal to kiss her for another two years, and the things that Grant or even Jasmine could do to him, were unfathomable and terrified him more than the dinosaurs.