Chapter 12

It had been a few hours.

The helicopter landed on the roof of a Montana hospital to drop three passengers off before heading back into the sky to take the remaining three to Oklahoma. The dropship with Jasmine aboard landed on the platform after the helicopter took off. She insisted that the ship remain there, "you all will stay in the ship," she ordered, "I'll be back later," she assured as Billy was rushed into the emergency room.

Moments later, Jasmine and the Grants were being led into the waiting room outside of the ER to wait until they were called. The dinosaur whisperer stood leaning against the wall near the dinosaur man who was sitting down while the dinosaur girl paced before them. She may have been sixteen, but Jami had the mind of a woman in her mid-twenties. It may not excuse the age difference, but it wouldn't matter in two years nor did it matter to her. Two more hours of waiting outside of the ER and Jami was still pacing in front of her father and honorary sister. She seemed to be deep in thought, lost in her mind. Her backpack had been removed the moment they arrived in the waiting room; it was sitting on one of the seats.

Breaking the eerie silence, "Jami, sweetheart, why don't you sit down?" Grant frowned; he was worried his daughter was having a panic attack, "your pacing is worrying me."

"Yeah," Jasmine agreed.

Jami continued to pace, "I can't help it."

"He'll be just fine," she assured her honorary sister, "Halkrath took good care of him," she admitted.

The pacing woman shook her head, waving at her honorary sister, "I know, I know but still."

"They're probably making sure his internal organs aren't failing," Jasmine continued, "they'll come get us soon, you'll see."

The youngest of the three sighed then, giving in. "Okay, okay," she moved to sit down beside her father.

The alien slayer smiled, "good."

"I'm just worried, is all," Jami said softly, her knee beginning to bounce.

Grant reached his arm around her shoulders, gently rubbing her bicep. Knowing she needed the familial touch, Jami leaned into her father's embrace, closing her eyes. The girl was exhausted, having been through the third most terrifying experience of her life but she promised Billy that he would see her at the hospital. She couldn't go back on her word; she wouldn't go back on her word; that would hurt her more than the words she told him in her fit of rage back on the island.

Just another hour later and a doctor was coming up to them, "for Brennan?" The man asked, looking up from a clipboard as Jami shot up from her seat, nodding her head at the man.

Grant stood up, grabbing the backpack his daughter was forgetting, "that would be us."

Jasmine pushed herself off the wall, "yeah, we're all here for him."

The two moved to stand on either side of the crying girl. "Yeah, that's us, is he-?" Jami was searching for an answer from the doctor.

The man smiled, gesturing for them to follow him as he spoke, "he's alive, and feeling much better," he assured the girl who let out a sigh of relief, "whatever happened to you lot, it did some damage, but he'll live."

"Thank God," Jami said softly.

Jasmine smirked, "that's because Yautja medicine is ten times as powerful and miraculous as human medicine," she said under her breath.

"He'll need to stay in the hospital for a day or so but after that," he glanced at Jami, "he's all yours," the man realized that she must be his significant other or at the very least she must love him very much.