twelve

I had just left the library, walking down the steps that were usually crowded with student bodies but weren't now, to go and submit the form in my hand--the one for the Christmas Orchestra volunteering--when I encountered none other than Soren himself.

I'd been relieved when I saw the grounds almost empty and would've gone straight for the offices if I hadn't seen him looking around, blond strands tugged by the wind, before his gaze found me.

And then he was hurriedly walking towards me.

I stumbled to a halt and my eyes widened in surprise when I saw the unmistakable giant purple bruise just below his right eye. Nico had been exaggerating but not so much.

"Soren," I spoke quietly and worriedly, eyes scanning his face, his beautiful alabaster skin marred with the ugly bruise, and only then noticed the tiny scabbed-over wound near his jaw as well.

"Alice." He gritted out. His eyes were dark with an emotion too...hateful. I blinked in surprise and swallowed, not sure if I should step back or stay put. "Where the fuck is Brooke?"

I opened my mouth only to close it shut the very next second.

"What the fuck did you say to her? What's wrong with you? Why would you--" He broke off and shook his head, jaw clenching before he was jabbing a finger into my shoulder. I flinched and stepped back. "You ruined it for me! Why the fuck can't you let me be happy for once?"

I took another step back, only this was more in shock and an unconscious move. I didn't understand what he was talking about.

"What...What are you talking about?" I asked, furrowing my brows as I instinctively looked behind him. What was going on?

"You damn well know what I'm talking about!" He was yelling now. I nearly flinched again at the sharp, angry edge in his voice. "You couldn't fucking let me be, you couldn't bear to see me happy and so you destroyed it. You ruined like you always do!"

I frowned and I tried, I really did try not to let his words hurt me like he was clearly meaning them to hurt me, but they still did. They pierced me in a way that made an alarming chill run down my spine. Soren had never spoken to me this way with such hate in his eyes.

"Soren--"

"Where is she?" He asked again, closing the distance between us. I felt hot all over. Burning and ashamed and embarrassed even though only a few people were on the grounds besides us. "Where, Alice? I swear to God--"

"I don't know." I shook my head, heart hammering with newfound anxiety. "I don't...I don't know why you think I've got anything to do with..."

And then it hit me. It hit me fair and square in the chest. In the most vulnerable part of my heart. The one that's been bruised too often.

"You and...Brooke." I stared at him, frown vanishing and shoulders slumping. Oh. Nico had been right. "But."

Soren only looked angrier now. I didn't think I'd ever seen him this angry. I didn't think I'd ever seen him being even a little angry at me.

"Don't pretend, Alice. God, I'm so fucking tired of your shit! Can't you for once think of others around you and not just yourself? She was your friend too! You never made me happy but you could've done it for her!"

I heard footsteps behind me, stepping down the library stairs, nearing me. But I only registered it at the very back of my mind--the only conscious part when everything right now felt like a nightmare. A sad nightmare.

"What the fuck is going on?" Nico stopped beside me. I stepped a little towards him, another unconscious move, because I realized I was a little scared too. Scared that Soren might do...something.