Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Five More Minutes

"Nicco . . . " she said. His name leaving her lips like a gentle gush of wind. Ever so softly. Sounding like a lullaby to his ears.

"Hmm?"

"Bakit hindi ka pa matulog? Inaantok ka na, e."

He smiled with his lids half-open. "Baka kasi bigla nila akong tawagin. Hindi pa naman tapos duty ko."

"Okay," sabi ni Francine.

And even from his hooded eyes and blurry vision, he could still see and feel her staring at him. Watching him.

The smile lingered on his lips. He wouldn't deny that he likes it when she's looking at him like that. Like she still cares. Like he still holds a huge importance in her.

And what he'd do to have her looking at him like that all the time?

"Nicco," tawag niya ulit.

"Ano 'yon? Matulog ka na rin. May surgery ka pa bukas," sagot ni Nicco sa papahinang boses.

"Gusto mo bang . . . tumabi? May space pa naman dito sa bed ko," she asked hesitantly.

Her question took its time to register in his senses. But as soon as it did, every fiber in his body seems to have woken up.

Hindi puwede, his mind whispered. Or puwede ba? She offered. So, p'wede? O bawal?

Nicco sighed. Mariin din siyang napalunok. It was a tempting offer and he's exhausted and sleepy. And he missed her. A lot.

Ni hindi niya inakala na posibleng maging pasiyente niya rin si Francine. He never wished for that either. Of course, he doesn't want her to get sick.

But of all the hospitals around the city, she came to where he was spending his residency. Exactly within the time frame of his shift, too.

"Or okay lang kahit 'wag na if ayaw—"

Francine was halted when Nicco walked towards her bed. It seems like his feet had a life of their own.

"Kahit five minutes lang. Paidlip," he said in a hoarse voice. It wasn't the attractive either. He sounded so exhausted and sleepy.

Francine carefully scooted to make room for him. Nakaalalay din naman si Nicco sa kanya.

"Don't rush, it's fine. Dahan-dahan lang para hindi sumakit tagiliran mo," he reminded.

"Okay na. Kasya ka na ba d'yan?" she asked, eyeing on the space she spared for him. "P'wede naman ako humiga sa left side ko if ever."

"Ayos na 'yan. Ako na lang tatagilid ng puwesto."

"Okay . . . " sagot ni Francine.

Maingat na humiga si Nicco sa tabi niya. He was lying next to her right abdomen. Kaya nag-iingat din siyang hindi masanggi si Francine.

"Are you comfortable? P'wede naman akong sa on-call room na—"

She immediately reached for the sleeve of his coat. Kaya natigilan din si Nicco.

"No," she said with her eyes pleading. "Dito ka lang please. Kinakabahan talaga ako para sa surgery bukas. And . . . "

"And?"

"Ayaw kong mag-isa dito. First time ko ring ma-admit sa ospital kaya ano, I'm a bit scared and kinakabahan talaga ako."

Nicco heaved a breath. Nodding in response. Naiintindihan niya naman. Some of his patients were anxious like her, too.