Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Make It Right

He can sense her nerves. Nicco knows she was trying her best not to worry about it. But she keeps on pressing her lips and she would space out for a few seconds in the middle of eating dinner.

"Sige na. Sabihin mo na. Kanina pa kita nahahalata," sabi niya.

"Ha?"

I knew it. She was spacing out. "Kanina ka pa hindi mapakali. Ano bang sinabi ni Ms. Marga sa 'yo?"

Francine sighed. "It's . . . nothing. Later na lang after ng dinner natin please? I don't want to ruin the night."

"Pero kanina ka pa kasi binabagabag. Okay lang naman kung pag-usapan natin. Ano ba 'yon?"

She pressed her lips together, gently dropping her knife and fork beside her plate.

"Sa work ba?"

Tipid siyang tumango. "Somehow."

"New project?"

"No, hindi siya new project."

"Brand deal? Na hindi mo gusto?"

"No din. It's not a brand deal."

"Interview?"

Umiling si Francine. "No."

"Problem sa colleague?"

"No."

There goes the list.

An idea was forming in his mind, but he's not quite sure about it. It's too soon if her management knows about them already, but there's only one way to confirm his hunch.

"Tungkol ba sa atin?" he asked.

He saw how the muscles in her jaw tensed at his question, and he could clearly mark her hesitation with the brief silence passing between them. Her eyes dropping on her plate, the slight tugging of her brow, and the line forming on her lips. He could recognize the look on her face.

He knew it too well.

"Okay . . . " His voice lingered.

"May kumuha ng picture natin earlier sa grocery. I really thought walang nakakapansin sa atin kanina kasi wala naman akong nahahalata and wala ring lumalapit but kinuhaan pala tayo ng picture. Isang photo lang nakita ko kanina habang kinakausap ko si Ms. Marga. Nasa poultry section tayo tapos you were reaching for a tray of eggs, ako naman nakatayo lang sa may cart. Hindi ko sure if may iba pa."

"Wala lang naman siguro 'yon? O may sinabi ba sila?"

She nodded slowly.

"Ano sinabi nila?"

"Some people were saying na I had the audacity to go out when I can't even show up sa work para sa interviews and promotions namin sa movie for no reason at all."

"No reason?" Nangunot ang noo ni Nicco.

Tumikhim siya. "Okay, sige. They don't need to know that you went through surgery kasi that's private information. Pero sa grocery ka lang naman pumunta? Unless nakita ka nilang nasa mall para gumala or mag-shopping or sa bar para sa night out?"

"Exactly! Bumibili lang tayo ng food and toiletries kanina, bawal ba 'yon? Hindi ba 'yon basic human needs para gawin ko?" Napasinghal si Francine.

The creasing on her forehead deepened and he could clearly see how upset she is now. Sure, that grocery run was a date, and it's a known fact only to the two of them.

"Hindi man lang lumipas isang araw," Francine mumbled.

I know, a voice whispered on his mind. He couldn't deny his disappointment, and it was their first date, too.