Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Just Like Before

Francine's brows were furrowed when she saw him taking a pillow and a fleece blanket out to the living room.

"D'yan ka matutulog sa couch?" she asked.

"Oo. Doon ka na sa kuwarto. Pahinga ka na rin."

"Ha? Ako na lang d'yan sa couch. Doon ka na sa room mo matulog baka mangalay ka d'yan," sabi niya.

"Hindi naman. Okay na ako dito," he said while fluffing his pillow on one end of the couch.

The creasing on her forehead became prominent. "Doon ka na sa room mo matulog, Nicco."

"Okay lang ako dito. Inaantok ka na rin 'di ba? Do'n ka na magpahinga."

"No."

He sighed. "Please? Inaantok na talaga ako. I'm fine here, don't worry about me. Sanay naman na ako. Just use my room."

"Are you really sure?" Francine asked.

"Yup."

"Promise?" she asked again.

"Yes. Promise. Pahinga ka na."

She sighed. Okay. Even though she doesn't feel okay about it.

First of all, it's his unit. Second, he has all the rights to his room and his bed. Third, she's the guest. Although it's nice that he's hospitable and very welcoming, but at the same time she couldn't help but think that it's an inconvenience on his part already.

But he seemed so sleepy so she didn't want to argue with him anymore.

Instead, she took the humidifier she asked of him earlier. Buti hindi nakalimutan 'yon ni Nicco kuhain sa unit niya kanina. It helps her fall asleep. Lalo pa kapag kailangan niyang makatulog agad dahil maaga ang call time niya kinabukasan.

She cleaned the air humidifier before adding some water and a few drops of her favorite lavender essential oil.

Iniwan niya 'yon sa sala kung saan natutulog si Nicco bago siya pumasok sa kuwarto para magpahinga.

She hoped he'd be able to sleep comfortably before she dozed off.

***

It was quarter to six in the evening when she woke up. Wala na rin si Nicco sa unit pero nag-iwan siya ng note sa lamesa.

He cooked ginisang giniling with tomato sauce for dinner. He also chilled some fruit slices for her in the fridge. He said he didn't want to wake her, and she could heat up the food in the microwave if it gets cold.

She smiled. It's been a while since she last saw his handwriting too and it's unlike the stereotype everyone has for a doctor's handwriting.

It's easy to the eyes and it's readable.

Ganito rin sulat niya kahit no'ng high school kami, she thought. Francine recalled the reviewer he lent her when they were still in high school. If she's not mistaken, her photocopy of that physics reviewer is still in her room, kept in a box inside her drawer at her parents' house.

She kept everything about him and all of their memories inside that box. She almost forgot about it if not for his note.

Francine cleaned up after eating dinner. Sinubukan niya ring manood ng TV para malibang. But when she saw the trailer for their upcoming film, she immediately turned it off.

It reminded her about work and she doesn't want to think about that now. Kasi kailangan niya ring kausapin bukas si Ms. Marga tungkol sa kondisyon niya. And she still don't know what to say.