Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Professional Advice

He has no idea why he said it. But picturing out her situation alone in her unit made him worry. He knows her wound from the surgery still hurts and she wouldn't be able to do quite much. Dahil baka dumugo o bumuka 'yong tahi ni Francine kapag pinilit niyang kumilos.

He didn't want to snoop around her unit either. He was just curious on how she was doing alone so he looked around. But he didn't see quite much because her unit was empty.

Halatang hindi gaano natitirhan at mukhang tulugan lang din ang purpose ng unit niya. He didn't notice that before when she invited him over the first time. But it felt empty.

The only thing that was in her fridge were pitchers of water, a lemon, and two carrots. Sa cupboard naman isang de lata ng pork and beans at dalawang spanish sardines ang nandoon. Ni wala rin siyang bigas at halos paubos na rin ang drinking water niya sa galon.

Her living room area had a mounted TV on the wall, a small coffee table and a bean bag. He figured she eats her food there because there's no table set at the dining area either.

And perhaps that was all okay for her and he's just worrying too much. Pero hindi niya rin matiis isipin na mag-isa lang si Francine doon tapos bagong opera pa siya. Surely she's going to do everything on her own, from chores to groceries. Lalo pa kasi ayaw niya ring umuwi sa bahay ng parents niya.

Nicco sighed. He didn't have any idea he'd spend his free time at the grocery, buying all the stuff on her list. Nagpapahinga't natutulog dapat siya ngayon.

But looking at her handwriting on a piece of paper feels like he's back in college again. Gagawa si Francine ng listahan ng kailangan niya sa grocery para masundan ang budget. Then she'll leave the rest to him because he's better at picking the right vegetables and fruits and poultry. Nagsasabi na lang siya dati kung anong ulam ang gusto niya at si Nicco na ang bahala sa pagkuha ng ingredients.

He missed that.

It was past eleven o'clock when he made it back to his unit. Sinalubong siya ng tunog ng exhaust fan. There was also a lingering smell of tocino and coffee.

"Hi! Sana okay lang na nagluto ako ng lunch. Nakita ko kasi may tocino ka sa freezer and eggs. Kaso hindi pa tapos maluto 'yong rice," sabi ni Francine nang pagbuksan siya ng pinto.

She was in the middle of washing some pans in the sink.

"Pahinga ka na, iwan mo na lang 'yan. Ako na d'yan mamaya," sabi ni Nicco sa kanya nang ibaba ang mga pinamili sa upuan.

"No, it's fine. Ito lang naman saka patapos na rin ako dito. Ikaw 'yong magpahinga na kasi wala ka pang decent sleep 'di ba? Tapos may duty ka ulit mamayang six."

He nodded. "Pero iwan mo na 'yan. Ako na lang mamaya. Baka mapasma ka rin."

Francine smiled. "Ayos lang. Pasmado naman na ako dati pa saka babanlawan ko na lang 'to."

Nicco stood beside her on the sink while she was rinsing off.

"Abot mo sa akin pagkatapos mong banlawan."

"Okay . . ."

Tahimik na binabanlawan ni Francine ang mga ginamit niya kanina para magluto, tahimik ring nilalagay ni Nicco sa lagayan ang mga 'yon matapos punasan.

Francine cleared her throat while she was wiping off some water splat on the edge of the sink.

"Thank you pala," sabi niya.