two

Our bus is the last to arrive at school, as it does daily. I follow behind Justin as we exit the bus. "Hey, question for ya." I ask as we enter the building.

"What's up?"

"You're interested in psychology, right? What do you know about dreams, like is there a theory or something?"

"Uh..." Justin looks up at the ceiling thinking it over. "Kind of?" He says but it sounded more like a question.

"What does that mean?" I give him a quizzical look.

"Well, Freud had a theory, but most psychologists today discredit a lot of his theories–for good reason." He laughed, but when he saw that I wasn't laughing, he cleared his throat. "Uh, anyway, Freud proposed that dreams were unconscious representations of the dreamer's thoughts and desires and things like that. You've been having some weird dreams?"

"Maybe? I haven't been able to remember them clearly, just the feelings." I sigh, adjusting my backpack strap.

"Have you thought about keeping a dream journal? I've heard that consistently writing your dreams down might help you remember them more, but I don't think that's backed by science..." He rolled his eyes. "Doesn't hurt to try, though, right?"

I hum. "Maybe. Thanks." He nods. "I'll catch you later?"

"Later skater."

After that, Justin and I headed our separate ways. I take the yellow stairwell to the second floor and zigzag my way through the hall to my first class. I spot Kaeleigh in her usual seat towards the back, and I wave. When she sees me, a smile spreads across her face. "Jacqueline, my love!" She jumps up and wraps me in a big hug. "You look so pretty today, aw."

"Thank you." I take my seat next to her. "You had a nice weekend?"

"It was nice. I missed you, though," she pouted. I laugh, placing my hand on top of hers. Kaeleigh was a sweetheart and my bestest friend.

"I missed you, too, crazy girl." She smiles. Our conversation comes to an end as more students start to trickle into the classroom; our teacher follows not long after. And at seven thirty on the dot, he begins.

"Jacqueline!" Kaeleigh says in a sing-song voice. Uh oh. She only ever does that when she has a favor to ask. I brace myself. "Are you busy after school today?"

"Don't think so. What's up?"

"Can you stay after school with me today? Please!" She clasps her hands together and pouts. "Xavier asked me to hang out with him after school, and I want to, but I'm so nervous! I'm not ready for it to be just the two of us."

Xavier was Kaeleigh's new boyfriend, like freshly new. From what I know of their relationship, they've been together almost two or three weeks. Kaeleigh is head-over-heels for this boy, so I guess I can understand her nervousness. Kind of. I've never been in a relationship before, and it's not because I don't want to be in one, it's just that I have high standards. I look at the relationships going on at school and compare them to my parents' relationship, and I want what my parents have. My parents were high school sweethearts, but, from what I've been told, they broke up in college, yet they found their way back to one another. And not long after reuniting, they married, and have been together since. Almost twenty years.

They support each other and always express how lucky and happy they are to have one another. I see the way my dad looks at my mom and it warms my heart. That's the kind of love I want. A love that's pure, a love that's sweet. A love that endures the test of time, and let's be honest, high school relationships aren't that. I frown.

"Does that mean no?" Kaeleigh's voice is soft.

"Huh?"

"Well, you were quiet for a while, then you frowned."

"Oh! No, sorry. I was thinking about something..." I pull at my ear. "Sure, I'll tag along. I have to call my parents first and ask."

"Okay! Yay, thank you!"

"Sure. I have to go, but I'll text you." We wave each other goodbye and go our separate ways.

***

The school day has gone by fast and after school clubs and activities were in full swing. So this is Xavier? I stare, my elbows on the table and the palms of my hands under my chin. He's a fine looking boy; he was tall and round, his skin a rich black. I watched him interact with Kaeleigh. I'm too far to hear their conversation, but I assume he's quite funny from all the laughter I hear from her. She hasn't stopped smiling and laughing since we met up with him and it's been almost an hour. The same could be said for Xavier. They seemed good for each other.

I smiled, grabbing my phone to sneak a picture of the two of them. I'd send it to Kaeleigh later and she'd thank me for it. I quickly take the picture before sliding my phone into my pocket. "Hey, the buses will be here soon, y'all ready to head out?" I ask as I approach.

Kaeleigh looks sad to be leaving, but she nods. "I'll see you t'morrow, then?"

Xavier smiles, "of course." He grabs her hand and kisses her knuckles. "Text me when you're home."

She nods, then turns to me. "Ah!" she mouths, her eyes wide and her smile equally wide. I hold in my laugh. "It was nice meeting you, Xavier." I tell him and wave goodbye.

"It was nice meeting you, too." He mirrors my wave.

Kaeleigh locks arms with me and we exit the cafeteria. The buses are already outside, so we rush to our bus and take a seat towards the front. "He's nice." I start.

"Isn't he? Ah!" She gushes, hands covering her face. "Did you see how he kissed my hand?! I felt like I was in a movie, gosh! That's so romantic. But thank you for coming with me. I appreciated it." She grabbed my hands and gave them a firm squeeze.

"I'm glad I was able to." I tell her honestly. "Y'all seem good for each other."

"Really?" She sounds hopeful.

I nod. "Really." I used this opportunity to send her the photo I took of them earlier. She smiles as she looks at it.

"Thanks."

A few minutes later the bus makes a stop and I exit. I crossed the street, my mom and sister stood waiting for me on the other side. "Hola hija. How was school?" My mom asks, giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"Fine. Where's the car?"

"I figured we'd walk. It's such a beautiful day." Her eyes flutter shut and she inhales deeply through her nose. "Is that okay with you?" I turn towards Kelsy, she's frowning, which tells me I don't really have a choice but to say yes.

"It's fine." I say with a smile.

-----

Word count: 1128

Total: 2230