seven

"Jacqueline Bishop!"

I turn in the direction of my name; it's Kaeleigh. I smile. She's speed walking down the hall, her lips pressed in a tight line. I pull at my ear, suddenly feeling nervous. "H-hey... what's–"

"Justin told me that he asked for your number?!" She shouts, making a few students look in our direction. I laugh nervously, meeting her halfway. I grab her arm and pull her into an empty classroom.

"Shhh! I'm sorry, okay? I was going to tell you but then you dropped the conversation... remember?"

She blinks, then smiles wide. "Oh! Aww, Jac. I'm sorry!" I roll my eyes, a little annoyed but mostly amused. This girl. "Why did you turn him down? You said he was cute."

"I- it caught me off guard..." I lower my head, twiddling with my thumbs. "You think I should've said yes?" I asked, looking up again to meet her eyes.

"It's up to you, but if you're interested, I would say so."

I nod. "I should've talked to you first."

"Um, yeah! What does Justin know?" She raised an eyebrow. I laughed. "I'm kidding. Anyway, when are you seeing him again? Dakota, I mean."

"Hard to say." I adjust my backpack strap. "My best guest would be the next time I have gym."

"And when is that?"

"Monday."

She nods. "Well... since you have no plans this weekend–" she winks "–would you like to stay over at my house?"

"I don't like what you're implying..." I say, trying not to smile. "I'll ask my mom today."

"'Kay. Text you later."

I followed Kaeleigh out of the classroom, and we went our separate ways to our respective classes. I made it into Mr. Linsey's class right before the bell. He shuts the door behind me and starts the class.

***

I stand in front of the vending machine and scan over the options. I don't know why I do this. There's never anything new in this machine, and I always get the same thing: two bags of spicy sweet chili Doritos. I take a dollar out of my wallet and straighten it on the side of the machine.

"Any day now." A voice says from behind me.

I turn and roll my eyes. "Hello to you too, Justin."

"Hey," he says, now standing beside me. "Are one of those for me?" He nods to the bags of chips in my hand.

"It could be," I say with a smile, "for 50-cents."

He frowns. "C'mon. Don't be stingy."

"Didn't you pack a lunch?" I laugh. "You don't be greedy!"

"Fair."

We walked to our usual table. Kaeleigh is already there with Xavier and one of his buddies. I take my seat next to Kaeleigh and Justin sits next to me on my right. "That's all you're gonna have for lunch?" Xavier's buddy asks, I believe his name is William.

"Yeah. I don't have money on my account for lunch."

"You don't get free lunch?"

"No. Not every student does."

"Really?" His eyes widened in surprise. He looks down at his lunch tray, then back at me. "Man, that sucks. I'm sorry."

I shrug, "it's not your fault." Justin then nudges me, half of his turkey sandwich in hand. I take the half, smiling. "Thanks."