four

Beep-beep! Beep-beep! Beep-beep!

I sit up in bed, yawning wide. And like clockwork, my dad calls out to me; a knock follows. "I'm awake, Dad. Good morning," I manage through another yawn and knock back. The memory of me typing in my notes comes to me, and suddenly I feel wide awake. I reach for my phone and read over the note.

It's incoherent typing.

I groan, squinting my eyes as if that would help clear things up. "Uh... 'went on trip with someone.'" I squinted harder, keeping my mouth shut to conceal the incoming yawns. "Something about a trip with someone." I drop my phone, yawning.

Man, I'm tired. I climb out of bed anyway and head to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I took a shower yesterday, so I should be fine to skip one today. Well, at least this morning anyway. I have gym today as my last class, so I'll likely shower when I get home. I put the toothpaste away and my toothbrush, then wash my face.

"Good morning," Kelsy yawns, stepping into the bathroom and sitting on the closed toilet seat. "Can I borrow some socks?"

"Sure. They should be in my top drawer."

"Thanks." She stands and exits. Switching off the light, I exited the bathroom too and entered the kitchen. Mom is still sleeping, so I decided to make breakfast this morning, though all I really know how to make is scrambled eggs and bacon. I collect everything I need to begin, then wash my hands.

Kelsy appears in the kitchen shortly after. "Can I help?" I nod, thankful for the extra hands. She was more of the cook anyway, which is why she probably wanted to help. With Kelsy's help, breakfast is prepared in no time. We sit in silence as we eat. Dad pops into the kitchen not long after we've finished. He thanks us for cooking, then makes his plate as well as some toast to go with it.

"It was mostly Kelsy," I say honestly. He nods, grabbing the jelly out the fridge and a knife out of the drawer. Unfortunately, I can't stay to eat breakfast with dad, so I say my goodbyes and head out for the bus stop.

As I walk there, I re-read the note. "I dreamt about a trip, but with who?" My eyebrows furrow in frustration trying to figure it out. I try not to dwell on it for long, though, and instead shoot Kaeleigh a text. I could use a distraction right now.

***

The school day has gone by fast, and I'm thankful. The only thing left to do before I can go home, shower, and rest is gym. I crouch down to tie my shoelaces.

"Today we'll be running the mile today. Now you don't necessarily have to run–you're free to walk–but I do encourage you all to try and make it at least one lap around the track running or jogging. Alright, let's head down to the field." Coach Hendricks says, his voice echoing in the gymnasium.

I purposely took my time out the doors so I could walk with Coach. Unlike most of my other classes, I didn't have any friends in this one. When he sees me approaching he pretends to be annoyed. "What do you want, girl?"

"What? I can't walk with you Coach?"

"No, you can't." He says, but he's laughing. I smile. "How's it going?"

"It's been okay, thanks. I'm not excited about this mile, though..."

He laughs. "Students never are. It won't be too bad. I'm sure you can finish it within 10 minutes or so."

"10?" I shake my head. "That's optimistic."

"Go on girl." He dismisses me with a playful wave. I laugh, but jog a bit to catch up with the rest of the class. A minute or so passes and we're all at the football field. There are other gym classes already out here engaged in a variety of sports, though it seemed to be mainly football. When Coach Hendricks makes it to the track, he blows his whistle. The mile has officially begun.