09. morgan

He does not know what he's doing to me. His hands on my shoulders. Holding me there and looking at me like that.

I tried to get some sort of words out. Nothing. I stood there, face red.

His stupid smile was looking back at me. His stupid cute smile.

We got out of the car and I started walking to my class.

"Hey, Morgan" I hear behind me.

I turn and see him looking at me again. Like that. With his outfit. I felt exactly how I was feeling 10 minutes ago again. Part of me likes this feeling of blood rushing through me, I want to know what's next.

"Do you have my AirPods?" He asks.

I try to get words to come out of my mouth.

"Yeah, uh, they're in my bag somewhere." I rush through my bag looking for it.

I grab them and give them to him. He touches my hand and doesn't move.

The blood rush multiplies.

The moment ends as fast as it started. He puts the case in his pocket.

"Thanks. Sorry for leaving it there."

"Yeah, no problem. All good." I laugh nervously.

I think about when his lips were pressed against mine. I wish we could do that right now.

He turns to leave but I don't want this to end.

"Wait!" I say.

He turns around.

"Uh, are you going to the party tonight?"

"I don't know yet. Probably." He replies.

"Okay, see you then."

"Yup." He says and turns back to go to his class.

I went to my class and sat down. My teacher began to call students up so they could receive their final grades. I went on my phone.

"Morgan Irvine." My teacher says.

I put my phone in my pocket and go to see my grade. It was an 83.

"Thank you." I say.

"Of course."

I really need to start thinking about colleges. Maybe if Matthew and I work out, I could go to Harvard with him. I'd have to get my grades higher, though.

I was originally planning to apply to local universities with Hailey, but a lot of our other friends are talking about going out of state.

Text from "Hailey" at 8:35 AM: Meet us in the first floor bathroom.

I ask my teacher to leave and I go downstairs. I see Hailey and Riley, and Riley's friend group, Penelope, Liv, and Bri.

"Hey Morgan, Liv's just brushing her hair. Do you want to come to Starbucks with us?" Hailey asks.

"Sure, hey, do you guys know where you're applying for college?"

"Yeah, Alabama, Illinois, Florida State, Colorado State." Bri replies.

"Only one in Colorado?" I ask.

"Yeah, why?"

"Oh, I don't know." I reply.

"What about you, Morgan? Where are you applying to?" Liv asks me.

"I think I'm staying local. Harvard maybe as well."

"Since when did you have interest in Harvard?" Hailey asks, teasingly.

"I don't know. Why not dream big you know." I reply.

"Hm, my brothers going to Harvard." She says to the other girls. Hailey was so excited when she found out Matthew got into Harvard, she brags about it to everyone.

"He's not going to have a problem getting a girl there." Bri says.

"Bri! Gross!" Hailey pretends to gag.

"What, I'm just saying what we're all thinking." Her and her friends giggle.

I didn't laugh though.

We get into Hailey's car and go to Starbucks. I sit in the passenger seat, like I did this morning.

"Hailey, is this your binder?" Penelope says.

We look back and see a blue binder, about one or one and a half inches.

"No, Riley, Morgan, is it yours?" She asks us.

"Nope." I reply.

"Maybe, can you check to see if there's a name on one of the papers?" She asks.

"Yeah, for sure. Oh, it's Matthew's." She says.

"Oh. Just leave it in the car. He can learn to remember it."

"No, Hails. It's fine. I can give it to him." I say.

"Are you sure? Cause I want to go to Starbucks and it's not like they're doing schoolwork today."

"Yeah. In case if he needs it."

"Okay then," She says, "but we're leaving if you take too long!"

"Love youuuu." I say, blowing kisses at her.

I realize I don't actually know what class he's in. I send him a text and get a response fast. 203.

I go to that room and see a kid about to enter that room. He holds the door open for me. The whole class turns to see me and this kid, who's headed back to his seat.

"Can I help you?" The teacher asks, clearly annoyed that I am here.

"Oh, uh, I'm here to uh, this!" I say, holding up the binder. I feel blood rushing to my face.

I am so embarrassed.

"What's your name, ma'am?"

"Uh, Morgan. Morgan Irvine, sir."

"What class are you supposed to be in, Morgan Irvine?" He asks.

I quickly scan the class in an attempt to find Matthew. Before I can he speaks.

"It's okay, Mr. Huntington. This is my sister's friend. I seem to have left my binder in her car."

The teacher sighs and heads back to what he's doing.

Matthew holds onto his binder, onto my hands and whispers into my ear.

"Thank you."

"Stop doing that." I whisper back, with my cheeks flushed.

"Doing what?" He smiles and goes back to his desk.

I kept the same facial expression until I got into the parking lot.

"We almost left you Morgan." Hailey, says, everyone fighting back laughter.

"Okay, let's go to Starbucks." Liv says.

"But seriously, what took you so long?" Hailey asks me.

"It was so embarrassing, the teacher asked me all these questions, and everyone was looking at me."

"Matthew got the binder, though."

"Yup."

We start driving.