13. matthew

I wake up to yelling and loud footsteps crashing onto the floor. My eyes slowly open when I notice I'm in bed alone. I sit up and move my hair back with my hand before turning on my phone. I notice a certain text message.

Text sent at 8:23 AM from "Morgan Irvine": Hey thanks for letting me sleep in your bed I had to get up and leave to make the girls breakfast. They're pretty hungover.

I yawn before getting out of bed. I put on a white t-shirt and grey cargo shorts with a grey necklace. I head downstairs and see the girls with barf buckets beside them.

"Morning, sunshine." I say to my sister.

"Leave me alone I have a pounding headache."

I look at Morgan and she shakes her head at me, signalling for me not to tease her.

"I made some eggs and bacon if you want a plate." She says.

"How will I ever repay you." I say grinning. She rolls her eyes and smiles.

When Hailey's friends leave. She grabs her suitcase and starts packing for the lake house. She hands me my suitcase and suggests I bring more than one pair of everything like I did last year. I hear a knock on my door.

"Come in." I say.

It's Morgan.

"Hey we're leaving at 1. Just thought I'd let you know." She says.

"Thanks. Want to help me pack?" I ask.

"Sure why not."

She hands me many sweaters and t-shirts. I insist I don't need them, but she tells me to take them anyways.

"Can you pass me a few pairs of underwear too?" I ask.

She looks at me with her face red.

"Uh, where's that?" She asks.

"In that drawer."

She opens it and laughs awkwardly. She hands me a few pairs and sits back down beside me.

"Are you packed?" I ask.

"Yeah of course. I brought my stuff over last night."

Last night. All the memories come flooding back to me. The fight, the cops, the moments i had with her. I look at her and she looks back at me with hopeful eyes.

"Yeah, last night." I say.

"Do you want to talk about what happened last night?"

"Yeah," I reply, "I-"

Hailey opens the door and sees us both sitting there, clearly having a moment.

"What's going on here?" She asks.

Matthew adjusts himself quickly and responds.

"What are you doing here?" He asks.

"What is she doing here?" Hailey looks at Morgan, who is suddenly stunned. She doesn't move a muscle.

"She's just helping me pack. Making sure I don't bring one of everything like last year you know." I reply, proud of how smooth my response was.

"Okay well she's my best friend. Stop stealing my friends."

"When have I ever stolen your friends?"

"Let's see," she says, tapping her head pretending to think, "you dated Georgia, Julia A, Julia H, and Fiona if I'm not mistaken."

"When I was in middle school. And I didn't even date them. Half of those girls just had a crush on me or I just like kissed them once. It was nothing."

Morgan looks at me confused.