15. morgan

When we got to the lake house. I grabbed my bags and headed inside. I insisted I helped Ms. Graham with her bags but she told me she had it. I went into Hailey's room. She has a pullout bed underneath her bed. I put the sheets on and started unpacking my clothes into the drawers.

"Hey, Morgan, you know you can tell me anything right?" Hailey asked me.

"Yeah for sure" I replied.

"Okay good." She returns to her suitcase and opens it.

"Wait, why? You know I tell you everything." I say.

"Oh nothing. You just seem off recently."

Most people would find that offensive, but I didn't. Partially since I felt guilty because I have been off recently. I have been keeping something from her. I just don't know how to tell her yet.

I look at her, before our silence is interrupted by the sound of footsteps and the door opening. Matthew is in his swimsuit, his abs defined in the light.

"Hey, Hailey. Are you ready?" He asks.

"Oh, shit. No. Hold on." She rummages through her suitcase and pulls out a pink bikini.

"Are you coming, Morgan?" He asks me.

I look over at him and his eyes are basically begging for me to go with them. I think about it for a second and decide to go. I'm here for Hailey anyways, not Matthew.

"Okay." I reply.

I open the drawers I just closed and pick out a blue halter bikini top with matching bottoms. He closes the door for us to get changed. When we get out we speed walk to the dock. We drop our towels.

"Okay, 3, 2.." Matthew says, before Hailey pushes him in.

We both jump in once he comes up for air. Once we wipe the water away from our eyes, he's back up to jump in again. We get up.

"After you." Matthew says to his sister.

Before he has the chance to push her in the water. I catch him off guard and push him into the lake.

"Good one, Morgan." Hailey says, flipping off her brother.

Matthew looks at me and I feel bad before he starts to smile. I don't want him to smile at me in front of her. I don't want him to smile at me if he just wants me to be there whenever he wants me to be.

He gets up and runs into me, pushing us both into the water. He grabs onto my hips and pulls me up with him. When we open our eyes, we are right in front of each other's faces.

"Deja vu?" He asks me.

I push away from him and swim back to the dock. Hailey looks at me funny and I roll my eyes at her. She giggles and we hold hands before jumping into the lake again. We swim around for a while before Ms. Graham calls us up to the lake house for dinner. I grab my towel and wrap it around my body. Hailey runs up since she's starving. I decide to walk since I'm a little tired.

"Hey, wait up!" I hear him behind me.

I turn around and see him running up to me. I face the lake house again and continue to walk.

"Are you mad at me?" He asks, catching up.

"No. Why do you think that?" I reply.

"I don't know. Ever since our conversation you've been acting off."

"Why does everyone think I'm acting off? I'm just being me. If you don't like that I don't know what to tell you."

There's a short silence. I look over at him to see him already staring into my eyes, observing my thoughts.