23. morgan

"Hey, Hails." I say, completely caught off guard. I sit up and move off of Matthew. She looks at me confused and disgusted.

"What's going on." She says, firm. She puts her hands on her hips and Colton slowly gets as far away from the room as he possibly could.

"Matthew and I were just getting a drink and, I think we got a little tipsy." I lie.

"I don't think one drink will make you so tipsy that you fall asleep on top of my brother."

"I don't know. It was a pretty strong drink." Matthew says, stretching his arms out.

"You look sober. Don't lie to me." She gets angrier at Matthew.

"It's my fault, Hailey." I say, standing up.

"Morgan." Matthew whispers under his breath.

"Im pretty tired and I just needed to rest. There's nothing between us." I say.

"There's always been something between you guys."

I step back and start to get upset with her.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask.

"You've had some creepy obsession with my brother for years. Don't act like I didn't notice. Part of me used to think you'd only hangout with me to see him. Guess I was right about that." She looks me up and down when she realizes she's winning the argument.

I feel my face get hot and my body fills with anger and embarrassment. Creepy obsession? I know she realizes Matthew is right beside me hearing all of this. That's why she's saying it.

"Do you really think I'm that much of a bitch? Like I really only listened to everything you had to say so I could hookup with your brother?" I yell.

"Sure explains why your dating life is so boring. You've been waiting for him this whole time. Just so you know, he only dates girls with experience."

Tears fill my eyes. My hands ball into fists. I wish I never came up to her lake house.

"Well I'm sorry not all of us are sluts like you!"

She stands still, breathing deeply. Tears begin to flow down her bright red cheeks and she death stares me as I regret what I just said.

"Hailey, I,"

"So that's what you really think of me," she says, "okay, well have fun having sex and then being ghosted by Matthew the next day." She speed walks out, letting quiet sobs escape her mouth.

"Morgan." Matthew says, grabbing my arm.

"Why did I say that. I didn't mean it." I cry into his chest.

"Shh, I know. I know." He assures me, rubbing my back.

"Now my best friend hates me."

"She doesn't hate you, Morgan. No friendship is always positive. There's always going to be arguments."

"I lied to her though. I lied to her face."

"She'll understand. We will tell her eventually when she calms down. You don't have to lie to her forever."

I look up at him and he wipes my tears.

"For the record I don't only go for girls with experience." He whispers.

"And I only had a slightly creepy obsession with you." I reply which makes him laugh. He pulls me in for another hug and we take a deep breath at the same time. I hear his heart beating and I time my breaths to it.

"Let's go home." He says.

"Not yet, I need a drink." I reply.

I drag Matthew around as he encourages me to go to the car with him. I take a shot of whatever is there, feeling the burn down my throat which is already sore from yelling. Music is pounding in my ears as I spin to it, laughing.