September 9th, 1993

𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝑒𝓃

"Theodore Nott!" A sharp voice cut into the crowd. Everyone looked back to watch as Iris Blackwell hurried down the stairs, black boots barely touching the steps and ponytail already becoming loose.

... Well, all but one watched.

Theodore Nott leaned against the wall beside the Potion's door, shoulder, and head, holding his body. His head stuffed into a book and back facing the calling girl.

Despite the crowd, the rushing teen easily spotted her companion and quickly made her way over. Popping her head over his shoulder, Iris scanned the book in his hands. "Hamlet? You leave me for Hamlet. No, you left me for Shakespeare." Her green eyes settled into a glare as she continued to look into the book.

The brunette sighed and slammed his book shut, "So distracting." He turned to face the girl that had glued herself to his side on day one. Eyes bored as always, Theodore met Iris's sharp gaze, "Can't you follow anyone else around."

Feigning a hurt look, Iris lifted a hand to her heart, "Ah, did you hear that? That was the sound of my heart breaking. I thought we had something Nott; I don't know how I will go on."

Theodore rolled his eyes at the girl, refusing to take the bait; he turned back away and reopened his book.

Smile returning, Iris leaned her back against the wall, "So anyways, I've been thinking..."

The other Slytherins had already carried on with their lives, used to the two teens and their odd relationship. The rest of the school was still growing accustomed to it all. Which, to be fair, was quite a bit to get used to.

Iris had shown a lack of care for rules within the first few days; her first strike had been dumping the uniforms skirt and switching to jeans. Teachers and prefects attempted to punish her, but detentions brought only a smirk and comment, and house points meant nothing to the girl. From wandering the castle at night to sleeping in class, many could only show a form of respect for how much she wore down the teachers. It came at a shock, though; no one had expected that the newcomer who radiated nothing but grace on that first night would turn out to be the face of trouble.

And, of course, she only continued to do the unexpected. Being placed in Slytherin was followed by the ideas of a blood purist. Quickly those were crushed, the talk of her growing up in the muggle world spreading like fire. The outburst at lunch told the school she was to be feared, yet two days later, she was back to joking around and being the distant newcomer that was finding her stride. The uncaring attitude with class only pointed in the direction of low grades, and yet when McGonagall challenged her for not listening, Iris didn't hesitate even once in proving herself academically.

All anyone was sure about when it came to Iris Blackwell is that she was a constant stream of questions.

The most relevant being her attachment to Theodore Nott.

He was always the keep to himself type, even tending to distance himself from the Malfoy gang. He is the son of a blood purist, a Slytherin through and through, and just holds a general distaste for everyone. The girl who couldn't seem to give the boy a break should have hated him.

For Iris was a blood traitor. She respected her roommates, scoffed at the remarks of Malfoy, and took no shit from people in her life. He should have chased her off, or at the very least, she should have decided her company was better spent with her roommates.

And yet, there she was, rambling about the portrayal of werewolves in movies while Theodore Nott glared into his book. Clearly uninterested and clearly wishing to be anywhere else. Why Iris Blackwell had picked such a one-sided friendship was beyond the understanding of many.