February 25th, 1994

𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒪𝓃𝑒

The atmosphere just before a class was always interesting. It was as if you had taken a sample size of society and observed the social constructs. In even a small group of 20 students at most, you could see the same patterns you did in gatherings of thousands.

Cliques of friends buddied up around a table, gossiping away. The loner kids sat apart from the crowd, reading a book in their downtime. Near strangers who had just ended up table buddied discussed the latest assignment.

Loud friends carry the bulk of the noise in the room. The quiet ones just minding their business. And the strangers awkwardly fill the space between them with small talk. Social situations you could find anywhere in the world.

But classrooms differed from large groups in one special way... speak just a bit too loud, and everyone hears it... and because of the familiarity even the two most lone wolf of students have for one another, anyone and everyone gets dragged into the conversation. You can start with everyone in the room living their own lives, their own social circles, never any mixing. But with just the right topic... everyone's interest is piqued, and everyone comes together.

Iris Blackwell was the proud instigator of the conversation that began in that moment while the students waited on Remus Lupin to start their DADA lesson. Just by asking for clarification on something Sally-Ann said the slightest bit too loudly. She brought together everyone... from the Gryffindor stars to Theodore Nott. Everyone wanted to at least listen to what she had started.

"How could second years join a dueling club?"

Just a simple question in response to Sally-Ann explaining the shenanigans of their DADA professor from the previous school year. The only agreed-upon good thing he ever did, having been showing an interest in dueling.

Well, it was a question that opened up a whole topic of conversation, with nearly everyone turning on the newest student with confused stares.

Dean Thomas, a Gryffindor, was the first to question Iris right back, "Why couldn't second years join a dueling club?"

Iris' eyebrows knitted together, her head tilting in question as she shifted in her spot leaned up against one of the tables. The answer seemed rather obvious to her as she dragged out her words, "Just based on your curriculum, second years are not exposed to any real dueling spells... hard to duel without protego or any basic offensive spells."

Things exploded a bit from there.

Everyone in the room, save for a few, began on and on. People named off spells they knew. Some considering their odds in any real sort of fight. And one agreed-upon problem, why weren't they being exposed to dueling? After all, defending yourself from other people tended to be far more important in this world than a Grindylow.

Iris had personally tapped out long ago, moving from her position that had her near the center of the room. Instead, taking up her regular seat. She smiled quickly at the nervous boy Neville Longbottom who sat in front of her before just leaning back in her chair and enjoying the new energy in the room.

The conversation had grown so intense hardly anyone had even noticed when their Professor entered the room, looking completely and utterly lost. He stood frozen at the door for a moment too long before he met Iris' eyes, that smirk on her lips far too familiar for comfort.

But sighing it off, Remus Lupin just snuck himself over to his desk, took his sweet time settling in, and then, oh so casually, raised his wand. Iris' eyes widened as she quickly waved a hand... just in time to surround herself with a soundproof barrier before Remus swished his wand.