Chapter 4

The time to report to the mentors came rather early. Sleep managed to evade me for most of the night, but I didn't feel at all tired. I blamed it on adrenaline and excitement which wouldn't be too farfetched, but I knew eventually it would wear down and I would quickly grow tired and regret not doing anything to get some sleep.

                The conference room was mostly empty except for a few others. In the corner, Ben was sitting all alone. For a moment, I wanted to sit near him but then I figured it would be awkward because we aren't even friends, but he was the only constant I knew I had right now and I wanted to be where I knew my comfort zone wasn't going to be tested. I opted for a seat in the middle until I heard him clear his throat. I look up and he points to the seat next to him. I stare for a moment but let my feet guide me to the desk next to him.

                I clear my throat as I sit down and just stare at the desk top for a moment until someone else walked in. She was a little too giddy for someone who had gotten a job to work at the Border. Her brunette hair was curled and bounced everywhere, how she managed that by this time of morning, I couldn't fathom. She glanced back at Ben and I sitting in the corner and then made her way to the front, middle seat and sat with perfect posture.

                Ben snorted and I looked over at him. He leaned forward on the desk, folding his fingers over the edge and he turned and looked at me. "So, small world, huh?" He said. I nod and continue to stare. "You know, I think you are going to make the others jealous." I raise an eyebrow. "The mentors were bragging about you and nobody knows why."

                I give a half smile and lean a little closer so nobody else could hear me. "You mean much like the coordinator was bragging about you?" I ask and he gives a half smile. "Don't think I didn't notice the Mayor talking with you at the ceremony yesterday, much like she did with me. And the coordinator blowing his cover only confirmed it. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me."

                Ben furrows his brows and flashes a smile. "What makes you think yours is safe with me?"

                I lean back in my seat and stare at him, keeping my smile. "Because exposing me, would eventually only expose yourself. You're smarter than that, Ben. Don't make enemies on your first day." I warned and turned to the front of the room when the mentors walked in.

                One mentor in particular stuck out the most. He had long, black hair and dark brown eyes, tall and built after working a job like this for so long. I clenched my jaw as I stared at him. I knew him. He was the one from my vision the other day when I collapsed against the wall. Without needing to hear his name I knew it was Markus.

                "Good morning everyone. I see a couple of you yawning and fading off, don't worry that will change in a month. Since there are only six of you, we decided we were going to pair you up with the mentors that would best suit your needs." The man speaking was short, but looked like he could easily hold his own.

                The brunette that stared at Ben and I when she walked in quickly raised her hand and straightened her posture. The man sighed and nodded to her. "So, is there a ranking system? Kind of like how the officers have? Do we get certain ranks? I'm sure when you see my score that you will see I am more than qualified to lead others."

                The man looked at Markus at his right, then turned to the blond mentor at his left and began laughing hysterically. "Is there ranks?" He doubled over in laughter and even slapped his hand on his desk and continued to laugh before he stood up, his face straighter than it was when he walked in and glared down at her. "Sorry, sweetheart, but based on your score you would be the last person I would ask to lead a group anywhere. Unless it was to their certain death."