Chapter 5

Training was first thing in the morning and though I had actually slept, I didn't feel at all like I had gotten the rest that I did. The entire hallway was silent as I walked down to the elevator and it gave me the chills to walk down the hall alone. I reached the elevator and swiped my card and the doors promptly opened and I stepped in, pressed the button to the ground floor then rode the box down to the main hall and stepped off, rushing off to the dock where we had to store our gear.

                This building was completely different from any other building I've seen. While the others were boxier and had windows and glass doors, this one was rounded at the top and had huge metal doors that were raised vertically from the ground instead of opening side-by-side. I stepped in and continued walking through the dimly lit corridor until I reached the back of the building where Markus was waiting on a couch and Ben who was sitting off to the side.

                They both looked up at me and I just stared down at them for a moment. Ben's expression was that of warning and Markus' was just displeased. "What?" I asked.

                "I saw the video from the trainee store." Markus said and stood up. I swallowed hard as he approached me. "That is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. Don't make enemies for yourself, Finley! It will get you nowhere and fast. What were you trying to prove?"

                I shook my head. "I wasn't trying to prove anything. She was talking and the next thing I know, I blanked out and she's against the wall. She's all about stepping over boundaries and trying to pry. She thought she was going to con me into giving up my score and I just grew irate."

                "Let her attempt to step over your boundaries, it shows you have nothing to hide. You just gave her something to investigate. I hope you're ready to cover your own ass when she starts figuring you out!" Markus snapped.

                I clenched my fist. I wanted so badly to tell him I knew who he was, that I know he's my uncle, that I have the journals my biological mother wrote to me. But I can't say anything in front of Ben and I have yet to even finish the first journal completely before I can even confront Markus about it. I sighed and unclenched my fist and figured it was better to just take the yelling instead of trying to fight it. Arguing against him was going to be pointless because he would win regardless. He's been in this game a lot longer than I have, so I had no advantage.

                "It won't happen again." I say quietly and look down, showing my defeat and accepting his scold.

                Markus sighed. "Make sure that it doesn't. Get your gear. What you need is posted on your locker." He nodded towards a small set of lockers and I walked over and opened it up with the lock combination that was posted and grabbed everything out that I needed.

                I quickly changed into the training clothes and stocked up my gear and the moment I shut my locker I saw Ben looking at me while leaning against his own locker. I raised my eyebrows and he just shook his head then began walking with Markus out of the Dock. I quickly caught up to them and Markus led us to a field that had targets lined up. It would make sense since we had to have our handguns with us as well as 1000 rounds of ammo.

                "Today, you are going to test your fire arm and your aim. You need to know how to shoot if you are going to work up there." Markus pointed to a post at the top of the fence that stopped just above the last electric wire to keep whoever was up there safe from the electricity. "Load your weapons, and get started."

                I grabbed a clip from my pant leg and snapped it into place in the handgun and aimed it at the target and the moment I turned the safety off, I began to shoot off rounds at the target. When my clip was empty, I glanced over at Markus who was shaking his head slightly then at Ben who was reloading his clip as well. I quickly reloaded and began to shoot again.