four. fear and pain

four. fear and pain

Many thoughts cantered through Tatum's brain

Many thoughts cantered through Tatum's brain. As did his emotions fly out of control. The feelings of betrayal, hurt, and vexation replayed over and over again in his head. But they remained obscured by his peaceful face.

The only one who could notice if something was up with him would've been Luna if she was paying attention. However, she was looking outside the window, waiting for her father to return. "He's been out there too long," She announced in concern.

"It's been less than ten minutes," Everett notified.

"He's got the gun," Harlan declared when his sister walked past him and toward the door.

"I'm going out," Luna expressed. She stood in front of the door when Garrett returned, the rifle in his hand.

"Couldn't find anything out there," the eldest man told. "Are you sure about the cop?"

"Yeah," Harlan answered as he walked behind Garrett. Tatum followed when he realized everyone was doing the same. "One second, the guy's standing there, slamming my head into the wall, and the next he's gone."

"Gone meaning dead," Everett added.

"Good riddance," Tatum commented. He looked around and noticed that everybody was staring at him. "What? He was a creep who thought just because he was a cop that he had all the power and influence in the world."

"He has a point," Blake nodded her head.

"Let's not jump to conclusions," Garrett advised as he walked over to the curtains and pushed them so they didn't block the view of the glass window. "Whatever happened to him we're gonna find out."

"None of you here have seen anything like that before, like, ever?" Blake asked.

"I told you, this is all new to us too," Luna replied.

"So we're safe?" Blake raised another question. "It's not gonna kill us?"

"Not if we're part of its pack," Luna answered.

"It's protecting us," Harlan added.

"From what, a shitty cop?" Blake questioned.

"How do we know it's not coming after us?" Everett asked.

"If you're a part of its pack it may not kill you," Tatum informed as he sat on the island in the kitchen. "But, and this rarely occurs, if you happen to resist... It might... Choose to kill you. But it's also protecting you so... So far so good."

"We're gonna have to figure some things out, how to keep you safe, how to protect ourselves." Garrett stated as he unloaded the rifle, the silver bullet fell onto the table. He noticed the grave expressions on the kids. "Yes, it's silver, which actually doesn't make for a very good bullet. Metal is not as dense as lead, which affects the accuracy."