A small world we live in

The morning arrived at last, Arya almost got no sleep last night, one thing was on her mind; who's finger is that? Should she be worried? One way to find answers to these questions was going back to the police station. She took a bath, dressed up, made scrambled eggs and went out. After locking her door, she glanced at Rick's house, his bike wasn't there and the house seemed empty. She didn't put much thought into this and headed to the police station.
« Any news ? » she asked to one of the officers.
« We'll let you know ma'am » he said. Arya was kind of irritated by the laxity of the officers, it was a finger! A freaking finger! But they acted like it was just dog poop. She slammed her hand on a desk to get some attention.
« Will someone tell me what is going on here??? » she screamed.
« Madam, we said we'll let you know if some information comes up! Please stop making a scene » one officer said but Arya wasn't going to quit that easily. She kept insisting she wanted to see the person in charge of the case.
« What's going on here? » said a man upon entering the room. He looked at Arya for a split second and then at the officer.
« Nothing important sir » he said.
« Oh trust me, IT IS something important! A human finger was found in front of my house 2 days ago and it seems like no one here cares about it! » Arya said annoyed. He looked back at her and clinched his jaws.
« Follow me to my office please » he said. She did as instructed. They both entered the office and there was a young man seating on one of the chairs; he looked in his late 20's, looked 'expensive' and clean, she sat next to him. The sheriff sat on the chair across them.
« Excuse me Mr Sander, I just have to clear a little problem then I'll be back to you » he said. Arya glanced at him, Mr Sander? He must be the son of Bob Sanders, Arya never met him, didn't even know what he looked like before now.. Just like her, he wasn't allowed out and was homeschooled, she only knew his name because she'd often hear her mom gossip about them with John's mother from time to time.
« We were done here anyways » he said, getting up. He didn't even once look in her direction, not like she wanted him to.
« Thank you again for the visit Mr Sander, please send my greetings to your mother » the officer said, looking like he was ready to lick his toe nails if asked to. Arya felt.. intrigued by this man and wasn't sure why, she watched him get out of the room then turned her head back to the sheriff.
« What did you say your problem was? » he said with a cold tone, looking bored or rather annoyed he had to have this conversation.
« A finger was found in front of my house, I'd like to know who's finger it is and why it was placed there » she said calmly.
« We don't know who's finger it is and nobody was administered to the hospital for a missing finger nor was someone announced missing, so right now we have no way of telling who this finger belongs to » he said, going through some files.
« Can't you use the fingerprints to know who it belongs to? » she asked, confused. He looked up at her and said in a sarcastic tone ;
« You think we're in some movie or in the city here? We don't have that technology here, we don't have the means to » Arya didn't know what to say to this.
« I think we're done here, good day ma'am, we'll let you know if something new comes up » he said slamming the files on the table.
« My neighbor.. » she said.
« What? »
« My neighbor..it's been 3 days since I saw him, maybe it's his finger » she said.
« Or.. he went on little vacation, I would too, this village is driving me crazy »
« I'm being serious here » she said. The sheriff sighed.
« Fine, who's your neighbor ? We'll dig into it later » he said, taking a bloc-note and a pen.
« Rick Cockborn » she said. The officer put his pen down and looked at her.
« It isn't his »
« How do you know?! »
« The finger found was that of a woman and even if it was somehow that of a man, it couldn't be Mr Cockborn's, his hands are way more muscular »
« Then wh—»
« Ma'am I'll ask you one last time to leave this station! We'll let you know in case something comes up! » he said, interrupting her. Arya got up and slammed the door on her way out. What was his problem ? She thought, she was so irritated that she didn't mind who was in front of her as she walked. She then bumped into someone.
« Watch it! » she said annoyed.
« How rude knowing you're the one who bumped into me » a man said in a deep and calm tone. She looked up and saw the same man who was sitting in the office with her earlier. Now that she was close up, she could actually see his features ; he had a chiseled jawline , no beard, almond dark brown eyes and thick eyebrows, his hair was cut into a military cut making his features look more pronounced. He was handsome.
« I wouldn't have bumped into you if you weren't standing in the middle of the road like a statue » she said.
« I was making a call, isn't that allowed now? » he said. Arya didn't say anything, she tried to walk pass him but he grabbed her hand.
« Apologize » he said.
« What?! »
« You heard me well »
« Apologize for what? »
« Bumping into me and interrupting my call » She didn't say anything , she just looked at him in disbelief.
« Apologize or we're going to have some problems » he insisted. She didn't know if he was serious, joking or flirting with her, no matter what came out of this man's mouth , he kept a poker face. Her day was already bad enough and she didn't need this bullshit.
« I'm sorry » she simply said. He smiled and let go of her hand.
« Just joking, you seem angry.. what's the matter » is this guy a lunatic? She wondered.
« It's too long and I don't feel like talking about it again knowing it won't change anything »
« Well maybe I could help you, you never know.. how about we talk about it while drinking some coffee, I haven't had breakfast this morning » she hesitated but then remembered how the sheriff acted when he was around so she accepted his proposal.
« Alright but let's not go to the 'brown crunch' please » she didn't want to face Snow again.
« Wasn't planning to take you there anyways » he said, leading her to his car. While in the car, something came across Arya's mind; why was he still there when she left the police station given he walked out way before her? Was he waiting for her?
« What's your name ? » he asked.
« Arya, yours ?»
« You were in the office earlier with me, you surely heard what the sheriff called me » he said.
« what's your first name I meant » she said a little bit annoyed.
« Karl »
They drove in silence after that until they arrived in front of his house. Arya was taken aback when she saw where they were going to have a discussion.
« I thought we were going to eat something » she said.
« We are, at my house » he said while getting off the car. Arya didn't really know what to do, she just got out and followed him to the house.
It was just like her mother used to describe it; it was huge and well taken care of. He opened the door and she was met with Jonathan who was holding an envelope.
« Jonathan ? » she exclaimed. He looked at her surprised too and then looked at Karl who didn't even acknowledge his presence.
« Hey there » he said, smiling to her.
« What are you doing here? »
« I could ask you the same question » he said. Karl put his hand around her waist and dragged her into the house, walking past Jonathan and then closed the door behind him. What was that? She asked herself. She removed his hand from her waist and turned to face him.
« Why did you do that? » she asked.
« Do what? »
« What you did right now »
« I was getting hungry, I told you I didn't eat anything since morning » he said in all seriousness. He then walked to the dining room and she followed. This house was even bigger than it looked from the outside, everything looked expensive and this somehow made her uncomfortable. He pulled a chair for her then sat across. The table was already set before they arrived, he started eating and she just looked at him.
« So.. what did you say your problem was? » he asked. Arya told him about how she found a finger and how the police wasn't being helpful. He didn't say anything for a moment, just kept eating. After what felt like hours, he finally said;
« Why do you care? » Arya was surprised by his response, who wouldn't care if a finger was left in front of their door?
« What? » she asked.
« I'm not fond of repeating myself and it's the second time you try to make me do that » he said, looking really annoyed. Who does this man think he is? She thought.
« Who wouldn't care if a finger was left in front of their door? » she asked.
« Do you have enemies ? »
« I don't think so »
« Do you think someone will hurt you? »
« I don't know »
« If so, you are welcomed to stay here » Arya didn't understand him, he said the most random things while looking serious.
« Does my proposal sound that absurd? » he asked, noticing the confused expression on her face.
« Why would I move in with someone I met minutes ago? » she asked.
« The same reason you're eating at the table of someone you met minutes ago » he said as he kept eating. She was stunned.
« You know what? I think it's time for me to go home, this conversation isn't helping » she said getting ready to leave.
« I'll talk to the sheriff tomorrow » he said.
« Thank you » she said with a sigh of relief.
« Leave your number to the man you'll see at the door while going out » he added. This man really thought he was the king of the world she thought as she looked at him with a grimace.
« How would I let you know what he'll say otherwise? » he asked looking at her like she lacks common sense. She nodded and headed home after leaving her number as instructed.

When she arrived, she noticed Jonathan sitting in front of her porch waiting for her.
« Umm..waiting for someone ? » she asked.
« Yeah and she just arrived » Arya unlocked the door and they both went in.
« So, did you want something ? » she asked.
« Did you find out who's finger it was? »
« Not yet » she sighed.
« How is your day going? » he asked.
« What do you really want to know ? » she asked back. He looked at her for a few seconds then asked;
« What were you doing at his house? »
« He's friend with the sheriff so I thought he could help » she explained.
« And you? Why were you there ? » she asked.
« I had something to settle with his mother » he said briefly. They both looked at each other awkwardly, Arya wasn't sure about what he wanted or why he cared. He finally spoke, breaking the silence.
« Listen, I would stay away from him if I was you » he said with a concerned look.
« Why? » she asked.
« I can't tell you why »
« Then I'll do as I please » she said.
« If I tell you, you won't say to anyone else? » now she was intrigued.
« I have no one to tell anyway » she said.
« Believe me or not but I know Karl ever since we were kid, I can't tell you how we know each other for now but what I'll tell you is he's really not normal » he said.
« What do you mean? » she asked as she leaned forward. He sighed then looked around before talking.
« He used to kill animals for fun and even cut another kid one time with a piece of glass, almost killing him » Jonathan said in a low voice. Arya was too shocked to say anything, she just stared at him in disbelief.
« Listen, I'm not trying to sabotage him or anything, just giving you a heads-up before you decide to get close to him, he was strange as a kid and I doubt it changed now so be careful » he added as he got up to leave.
« I'll head to the shop now, I don't want to get fired, goodbye»
« thanks..see you later » she said, a bit concerned.
« Oh, before I forget, can I have your number? » he asked while rubbing the back of his head.
« Sure » they exchanged numbers and he left. Arya made sure to lock all doors and windows and went to bed when the night came. She couldn't sleep though, she kept thinking about what Jonathan told her, suddenly she received a message on her phone.
« Goodnight, K » it was a message from Karl she thought and replied goodnight. Few hours later, she finally fell asleep.