Two sides of the same coin

« In both cases, the victims had almost no enemies.. what could be the reason they were chosen? Or is that the reason?.. ugh this is giving me headache! » said Aaron as he was trying to connect the dots. Three days had passed since he arrived the village and he made no progress with the case, jogging constantly with Snow didn't help either as she mostly just stays quiet or gives one word response since their little encounter at the cafeteria. Arya wasn't really of help either and the other officers seemed to have forgotten about the case as they spent the whole day doing nothing and drank at some bar at night, not Edward though... he was becoming more interested in the case and tried to gather information as much as he could.
« managed to find how he chooses his victims yet? » Edward said as he entered the office.
« No matter how hard I think, I can't.. the victims have literally nothing in common » Aaron replied.
« Maybe you were wrong and it's not the same person who killed them » Edward said.
« I don't know man.. I hate to say this but the only way we could find more answers is if... » Aaron paused, asking himself if he should continue his sentence.
« If what? » Edward asked.
« If there's a third murder » Aaron mumbled. Edward stood there in shock and an awkward silence invaded the place.
« You shouldn't say that man » Edward said at last.
« I'm not wishing for someone's death.. I'm just saying it would be easier to find a pattern if it happens » Aaron said, trying to make a point.
« I have a better idea but we'll have to hide it from the sheriff » Edward said.
« And what's that? »
« Let's go ask some questions to mr untouchable » Edward whispered.
« Mr untouchable ? Who's that? » Aaron asked confused.
« Mr Karl Sander » Edward whispered.
« Mr Sander? Why is he of interest? »
« He and Blythe had a 'thing' the rumors say »
« Wait what? Why hasn't this been noted? And I thought she already had a boyfriend ? » Aaron said , more confused.
« Because it's just rumors like I said and remember people cheat you know, so are we going or not? » Edward asked, impatient.
« Yeah! Let's give it a shot » Aaron said, getting up from his chair.
« I knew you weren't as boring as you look! » Edward cheerfully said while tapping his shoulder. Aaron sighed and they both headed out.
« Wait.. what if he decides not to speak? » Edward asked while driving.
« Wouldn't be the best of moves as he will only appear more suspicious » Aaron answered, looking through the window.
« So tell me about this Karl » Aaron said.
« I honestly don't know much about him, the man almost never leaves his house and don't talk to almost everyone here » Edward said.
« I see »
« He's been hanging a lot with the crazy girl , if she dies, that'll make a third victim and we'll know in what direction to look » Edward said jokingly.
« You gotta stop with these code names or whatever, it's hasn't been a week since I arrived here.. who's the 'crazy girl' » Aaron responded. Edward laughed and said.
« The girl who found the finger »
« Oh Arya! » Aaron said.
« You met her already ? Did she shout at you too? » Edward asked.
« Yeah I met her.. she's .. interesting » he said.
« Ouuhh.. » Edward smirked.
« Not like that you moron » Aaron said while smacking Edward's head with a file. They both laughed and arrived the Sander's home. They went out of the car and saw another car parked outside.
« Must have some visitors, maybe now's not the best time » Edward said.
« Who cares? » Aaron asked as he pushed the gate and walked towards the house. Edward followed him and they knocked on the door.
A tall slim man opened the door.
« Can I help you? » he asked.
« Yes, I'm detective Aaron Wright and this is officer Edward Smith.. we'll like to talk to Mr Karl Sander please » Aaron said. The man looked at their badge then at them.
« A minute please » he said before closing the door, leaving them on the porch.
« Where was the boy's body found? » Aaron asked.
« There » Edward said, pointing at the big tree in the corner. Aaron looked around, the property was clean and well taken care of. Just as he was about to make a comment, the door opened.
« Follow me » the man said. They did as instructed and were directed to the living room. They were met with Karl, Mrs Sander and another man sitting across from them. The tension in the room was so evident and they just stood there quiet for a minute.
« Well, here I am.. what do you want? » Karl said, sitting on the sofa with his legs crossed and a phone in one hand.
« We'll like to ask you some questions about Blythe Davis » Aaron said. Karl put his phone down and looked at them, he didn't say anything for a moment and the tall man came back in the room.
« Sir you have a guest » he said.
« Seems like I'm really wanted these days.. who is it? » Karl asked.
« Miss Arya » he said. Aaron noticed the change in expression of the two other individuals in the room, Mrs Sander looked irritated and the man next to her looked more tense.
« Why are you even entertaining that girl? » Mrs Sander asked.
« I don't, let her in » Karl instructed.
« So what do you want to ask? Be clear and precise, as you can see I have guests to attend to » Karl asked.
« What was your relationship with her? » Aaron asked. Karl sighed.
« How many times would I have to answer that question? I didn't have a relationship with her per say, it was a fling and nothing else »
« When was the last time you saw her? » Aaron asked.
« When was the last time Bob got on my nerves? » Karl said, looking at the ceiling.
« We're being serious here » Aaron said.
« I am too.. I only called her when my mom's husband got on my nerves and I needed to cool off » he answered.
« Called who » someone asked, they turned around and saw Arya with her arms crossed. Her eyes navigated the room and she saw Jonathan on his phone, trying to look busy.
« Jonathan ?! » she exclaimed. He looked up but didn't say anything.
« What's going on here? » she asked.
« And who are you exactly to come into someone else's house and demand explanations as to what they got going on? » Mrs Sander said staring at her. Arya didn't say anything, she just kept looking around.
« Have a seat » Karl said.
« Nah, I want some explanations.. Jonathan, we can't spend a day without you telling me to stay away from Karl because he's a psycho or whatever but yet this is the second time I see you here... why ask me to stay away from him when you don't do the same? » she asked furious. Mrs Sander and Karl turned to Jonathan who hadn't say a word since.
« So you walk around saying my son is crazy?! » Mrs Sander asked with rage.
« Mom, go upstairs » Karl said. She spat on Jonathan's shoe and did as she was asked. Aaron and Edward both looked at each other , not knowing what to do so they just stood there quiet.
« What exactly did he tell you? » Karl asked Arya.
« He said you were weird as a kid that's all » Arya said calmly, realizing she'd broken the promise she made to Jonathan about not repeating what he told her. Karl got up and went towards Arya.
« Why didn't you tell me that before ? » he asked once he was face to face with her.
« I don't owe you anything ! » she said.
« Is that so ? » he said calmly.
« I think we should all sit down » Edward spoke for the first time.
« You know what?! Screw it! So what I told her you were crazy?? Aren't you? » Jonathan shouted as he got up too. Karl didn't look at him, he kept his eyes on Arya.
« Tell me Arya, did it ever crossed your mind to ask him where we know each other from? » he asked. As he did, Jonathan grabbed Arya's arm.
« let's go, you don't need all this drama » Jonathan said. Arya pushed him and turned to Karl.
« Can someone tell me what is going on?!! » she insisted.
« I will tell you a little secret of mine » Karl said.
« Sam and I met in a psychiatric hospital, that was his name before getting adopted » Karl said, without letting her talk, he continued.
« Sam was a very shy boy you see, I was naive enough to think that shyness hid some knowledge to it so I went towards him, but I quickly realized he was just a shy fool » Karl said.
« Psychiatric hospital ? » she said while turning to look at Jonathan.
« I still decided to befriend him and we started spending a lot of time together, that's when I quickly realized something was wrong with him » Karl paused and went back to his seat.
« You see, we were just teenage boys so we were bound to fight sometimes and went we did, he always came back to apologize but all I noticed were new bruises on his body each time he came back. Things escalated quickly and he would threaten to cut his veins open when I'll ignore him after a fight or when he'll see me with other people, but despite that, you want to know how I knew this little boy was really crazy?! » Karl asked, pointing to Jonathan.
« When I started talking a lot to another boy; Andrew and few days later he was found lying on the bathroom floor with blood dripping out of his head.. guess who smacked his head on the bathroom wall? You guessed it! It was dear little Sam.... After that,my mom took me out of that hospital because I was clearly normal compared to those kids. You see I now know this guy suffered or should I say suffers from BPD which caused him to hurt himself like he did and even hurting someone else so I have a question for you.. between someone who hurts a squirrel and someone who almost kills a kid from lack of attention, who should you actually stay away from?! » Karl asked. Arya didn't say anything, she was too stunned to but then had another question in mind.
« And why does he come here often » she asked.
« You blame my mother for that, when she heard he came to this village too, she started paying him to not say anything about my time in that hospital as it could affect our image.. never wondered how a cashier could buy that car? » he chuckled. Arya turned to Jonathan who went out of the house, furious. Arya decided it was best to go back too and so she did.
« Do you have anymore questions about Blythe » Karl asked.
« We'll end here for today, thanks for your cooperation » Aaron said and they both exited the house and got in the car.
« Well that was.. something » Edward said as he started the engine.
« This was more beneficial than I thought it would be » Aaron said, almost sounding excited.
« Huh? » Edward said.
« The next person we'll talk to is this Sam or Jonathan, whatever his name.. but let's let him cool off before that » Aaron said
« Okay » Edward said and they drove off to the station.